Need to backup intire hard drive

sinebar

I have a HP Pavilion ZD 8000 laptop and I would like to backup the intire hard drive in case it crashes and I have to replace it. I have a maxtor onetouch 4 mini external drive with 250 gig of storage space. I tried using its built in backup system but for some reason it didn't back up the whole drive. I clicked on the "C" drive for backup but it didn't get all of it. I also tried the win xp backup chose backup everything on this drive option but it always failed for some unknown reason. So is there a program that will allow me to backup the intire hardrive?

cRABu

just install windows on your external hdd, and copy/paste youre important data frome your lap, to the external drive. Why complicating stuff so much with backup software?

sinebar

just install windows on your external hdd, and copy/paste youre important data frome your lap, to the external drive. Why complicating stuff so much with backup software?

I need to restore the entire main hard drive from the external drive to a new main drive in case the old main drive fails which it will do eventually. Your suggestion doesn't get me there and I can't boot up from an external drive anyway.

jdbennet

just install windows on your external hdd

wth?

xp cant boot from usb drives without serious modification and most bioses dont suppport it

buy something like norton ghost