Need your advice for a technical Question

sa3dos

Folks,

I just purchased a new motherboard (Asus P5B) and a new CPU (Intel E6600) new 1GB Ram and new Graphic Card (Geforce 7900GS OC). What I want to know is, Is it okay to assemble the components and connect my current HardDisk, and Windows will start normally ? or Do I have to format my current HardDisk in order for it to function with the new components?

What should I expect when I first Boot up the Harddisk with the new components for the first time?

I am a newbie and this is my first built.. so easy on me with the terms :D !!

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
You will need to format your drive, possibly re-activate windows. If you try to load your computer now, you'll probably get a blue screen of death. Window XP hates major hardware changes :p

As for the activation, Windows is made to be installed on one PC. When you reload it on the new machine, it's obviously new hardware/a new PC. The activation will probably fail and you'll need to contact microsoft in order to reactivate.

tobywuk

you may need to re activate your version of windows. I know in Vista the ULA (user license agreement) states something along the lines of a new computer being a series of different hardware components, so changing these would in theory mean you are changing the computer system, and so another activation key is needed.

As for the copy of windows not working, i personally don't know what would happen, but would take a guess that it should just boot up fine. but as said above, this may not be the case. No harm in trying though.

tobywuk

you probably wont find anything wrong with the first one. just go with whichever you prefer. its not going to make much difference really.