NetBIOS

gammerman

Hello,

Would netbios be a normal process while having a broadband firewall 4 port router then to a wireless access point to provide wireless internet access for two other computers.

I've read and really haven't seen a factual doc or evidence that we need it and is it necessary for my set up. And what would happen if I disable it. Or removed it.

AMD Fanboy

NetBIOS is an old windows proprietary networking protocol. It's not routable, meaning that you wouldn't be able to use a router with it. Stick with TCP/IP. If you're making a home network without an internet connection, NetBIOS would be fine.

bragr

Hello,

Would netbios be a normal process while having a broadband firewall 4 port router then to a wireless access point to provide wireless internet access for two other computers.

I've read and really haven't seen a factual doc or evidence that we need it and is it necessary for my set up. And what would happen if I disable it. Or removed it.

Yes its normal and you should keep it. Its and old protical used by alot of things for networking, especially in Local networks.

NetBIOS is an old windows proprietary networking protocol. It's not routable, meaning that you wouldn't be able to use a router with it. Stick with TCP/IP. If you're making a home network without an internet connection, NetBIOS would be fine.

You need both actually. NetBIOS connects OVER TCP/IP. NetBIOS would fail without TCP/IP

EDIT: **** i should read all the posts before posting. Sorry guys.