Netbook freezes up when the screen turns off and when there are a lot of processes?

idk12345

Basically, I have a Gateway netbook -- an LT3103u. I've been through hell with it. I'm about to ship it to Texas for repair for the third time, but before I did I wanted to post this:

The main issue I have with it, right now, is this -- whenever there is an excess amount of programs running, if you leave the computer to sit and let the screen turn off, and then you go to move the mouse, the computer will have difficulty coming back -- it'll be beyond sluggish, and somehow the power settings reset by themselves, and occasionally the processor speed settings will somehow be set to 0% for the minimum and maximum processor speed in the power settings. How do I fix this without just disabling the screen from turning off? (I think it would also happen even by disabling it, too) It can't be the wifi card or hardrive, as these both have been replaced by Gateway tech, and yet the problem still exists. Could it be the motherboard or processor?

Specs:
Gateway LT3103u
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 1.20 GHz
2.00 GB RAM
ATI Radeon Graphics card
32-bit Vista Home Basic

PCwhoop

banned
What is your power plan setting for the display off time and computer sleep time ? when it comes back, it displays resuming?

idk12345

High performance;
On battery: 3 minutes for the display, 5 minutes until it sleeps.
On power: 5 minutes for the display, 10 minutes until it sleeps.
I've had the problem occur with many combinations of numbers, so I don't think it's related to this.

And yeah, the display comes back on -- at least nearly every time that I can remember. The problem is really the sluggishness of the netbook after it goes into this "state."

And again, I'd just like to reiterate the point that this doesn't happen if you don't have a lot of programs running. It only happens when you have enough programs running to keep the CPU at a constant high level over an extended period of time.

Last edited: