Netbook making Eletrical type sound..

RyanPianesi

Hello. I just recently purchased a netbook. I noticed that it makes a weird type of electrical sound (kind of high pitched). Whenever I plug the charger back in, the sound goes away.

I've done some googling, and some say it is becuase the CPU is running on lower voltage, and due to this, the sound is present. When the charger is hooked in, the CPU may then consume more power, However -- I don't believe the processor is located in the bottom left hand corner.

The sound can really only be heard if your ear is put to the casing of the netbook.

Can someone tell me if this is true? Is it normal? The processor is an Atom N2600.:good:

Last edited:

Pell

all i would recomend to do is to clean it :/ and see if that makes a different to the noise. I would make sure you clean all of the fans and use a hover and paint brush to remove 90% of the dust and dirt good luck :D. Other than that i dont think it is anything serious, has it been doing this noise since the day you got it?

Pell

so yh try and get it as clean as possible inside im sure it will help with some noise and heat etc.

WeatherMan

I used to have an Asus 1101HA netboot, it did the exact same thing, you don't need to worry about it! :)

RyanPianesi

for you two that say your laptop does the same thing..does it only do it when running off battery? did it get louder as time progressed?

DellUser630

It shouldnt get any louder than it is now. People with sensitive ears can detect it. One remedy that i know of is plugging in an external internet wireless adapter into a usb port. It takes up a port but it should take care of the noise. I think the noise is also cause by excess heat. I've noticed my DV4 doesnt emit the noise on first start up but once the processor starts getting busy the noise begins. It's something you could potentially get used to, but like I said using a wireless adapter card will take care of it.

Mishkin

Regardless of where it comes from, it's fairly obvious that it is not a problem. Unsure how you discovered it in the first place if you can only hear it when you hold it up to your ear.

tangoblast

If it really bothers you, why not just exchange it? Surely wherever you bought has some type of exchange policy...
Otherwise, it sounds like it is typical noise that you would expect from a netbook's atom that is running under clocked due to power constraints imposed on it.