netbooks and operating systems

kerrymacca

I am a little computer challenged. I recently bought a "brand new" Asus Eee PC, model 1001P netbook on Ebay to use for travel. It came in the box and loaded with windows XP. I thought that I was purchasing the operating system with the netbook, however it came without a product key and of course won't work without it.

Do I have to purchase the full XP system (can you even buy it now?) and then can I use that key or would I be better off purchasing a product key for windows 2010? I don't know how to find out if my netbook would run with this system.

I also don't know where I would get a product key, as opposed to the CD (my netbook has no CD drive). Can anyone enlighten me on what I should do so that can start using word and excel.

kerrymacca

My PC specs

Processor Type Intel Atom
Display Size 10 Inch
Processor Speed 1.66 GHz
Installed RAM 1 GB
Hard Drive Capacity 160 GB

anand1

You first register your product and ask the customer care for it. But do also ensure from their official webpage that this notebook has any pre-installed OS or not. CustomerCare will best guide you for ur problem.

chamgamer

Same as my netbook specs MSI U130, if you want a high security use win7 OS but if you want to save more space and memory to your netbook use winXp.

flanker

I would buy a Ver. of Windows 7 and forget the old XP. you will be better served by the Netbook you bought.;)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I would buy 2GB of ram and windows 7, then disable all the windows 7 aero and stuff. That's what I did with my identically speced netbook and it runs great.

kerrymacca

I have another question - If I buy a copy of windows XP - can I use the registration number on it to operate XP that is already loaded onto my netbook or will it somehow know that what is on the computer is not exactly that exact disk which I have just bought.
I only want to use the netbook when travelling and this seems like the easiest way - if of course it would work. Would it work?