Network and Server Questions

holdenssx

I'm attempting to piece together what it will take to set to up a network for a small business. They need a new server.

Here is the current set up:

A server that holds files and host the domain
-OS is Windows 2000 Server

Two separate companies share the same internet connection, but only one company can access the server.

There is a modem, a Linksys VPN Router, and a Netgear Switch. Any computer that has access to the server is connected directly to the siwtch. (The server is also connected to the switch). The modem is connected to the VPN Router. A wire connects the router to the switch.
Here is a picture with labels:
219qw44.jpg

Here is what I need to set up:
\A server that hosts a domain (most likely running Windows SBS 2003)
\Remote Desktop Connection for the server
\A VPN so that if a user is travelling they can still dial in.

I did some research, it appears that I will need to build a server that has 2 network cards (because it will also be a VPN server). The 1st card with internet coming in, and the 2nd that connects to the switch with the other computers connected.

Will the VPN still work if the internet first connects to the router, and then to the server?

Any insight or suggestions would be awesome, thanks!

Also, let me know if you have any questions...

mahnac

If you want your server to have remote desktop connection you will need to set it up as a DNS server.

I will look further into you question now.

mahnac

Ok I would recommend connecting the router to the switch and then the server to the switch.

When you set up the server you will be able to allow different users to login to your network.

What OS are you using on your server?

Have you already setup your network?

tlarkin

VIP Member
you can run remote desktop with out running DNS, DNS just makes it easier.

How many users will be using it? Will it be hosting email and calendars? What is the full purpose of the server? Running LDAP and AD? I mean there are too many factors for anyone to help you and that switch looks like it is a cheap one, so don't expect good performance out of it.

If you can list in greater detail what you want to do I may be able to help more.

Black6

I would recommend setting up a Smoothwall firewall with 4 NICs.
Red- internet
Green- primary network
Orange- web servers, email servers
purple- the other company

Smoothwall also does VPN and will run on just about any old computer sitting around. www.smoothwall.org

You also need a switch for each of the above segments other than red or a managed switch. Also, buy switches with enough ports so you can minimize connection one switch to another as too many hops through switches can cause network problems.

I would definitely keep web/email on a separate server.

holdenssx

Sorry for the late response. Basically, it will just be a file server, I would just use XP Pro, but it needs to host a domain. 5 users will be connected directly to it, via a switch. It will most likely run SBS 2003, or Server 2003. I figure to make sure the other company cannot access the server, I won't add them to the domain, and will not give them user names.
Needs remote desktop, and VPN. Is it possible to install such programs as Office only on the server yet allow each user to access at the same time?

Geoff

VIP Member
You don't actually need two NIC's or two servers, although it helps. I setup my own VPN/File server network at home as well. I'm not sure how much help it is to you, but this is how mine is setup:

DSL Modem w/ Dynamic IP > 8-Port Gigabit Switch > Server (and 5 PC's) on Switch. The server is running WS 2008 with DNS, DHCP, AD, File Sharing, and VPN with DynDNS (with only 1 NIC mind you). So now where ever I have an internet connection I can connect via a VPN to my server back home and get all of my files.

This works well for me since there would never be more then 1-2 people connected and the server isn't working too hard, but just thought I'd let you know what I was doing.