Network Drives

camaro1185

I downloaded network drivers for a Dell Dimension 5100 desktop. I installed them and nothing shows up in the Network Connections folder. What can be wrong?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look in device manager to see if you actually installed the correct driver. What entries show under network adapters?

camaro1185

Look in device manager to see if you actually installed the correct driver. What entries show under network adapters?

I did look under device manager, it was installed correctly. Nothing shows under network adapters. Its almost like they were hidden or I don't have the rights to access anything in that folder even though im on admin.

BTW, this is my gfs computer so i don't know how windows was set up previously.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Network adapters is in device manager. Does it show anything in there?

If you don't have an entry in device manager under network adapters by the name of Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection then the driver isn't installed correctly. It also could be disabled in the bios or it could be dead and you need to buy a dedicated pci network card.

camaro1185

Fixed:

After re-installing and re-registering all the network .dll's and it still not working, I wondered if the network card was bad. For the hell of it, I opened the comptuter and wondered if it was a bad PCI slot. I changed where it was plugged in, restarted the comptuer and all is good now. :good:

If this happens to anyone else, first make sure the card is seated properly and if you have an extra slot, put it in there.