Network problems

fireballs

I have a four PC network served by a residential gateway (ADSL router, without ADSL) i want to connect to another ADSL router (with ADSL) to share the internet connection.

When i connect using DHCP the internet router says it's connected 'Local only' when i type in the addresses manually a warning message says:

"Warning - Multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a single network. They will not function properly when the gateways are on two seperate, disjoint neworks"

Is this because i'm using a residential Gateway not a router, if so does anyone know a work around; if not why can't i connect to both and get the internet?

axgrinder73

You cant double route. You need to connect the LAN sides of the router together and disconnect the WAN/internet port on the router that is not connected to the internet.

You will basicly be using the second router as a switch, (thats why you will not connect anything to the WAN/internet port).

Let us know if this helps.

fireballs

There's nothing attached to the (non internet) routers ADSL line (the only things attached are the four ethernet cables)

I've tried looking for a way to disable the DSL line but can't find any. The only thing i can think is to modify the firmware to act solely as a switch, which is out of my league.

fireballs

I was only using the ADSL router cause it was hanging aroung gathering dust. Would buying a switch solve the problem. Aslo is there such thing as a wireless switch???