Networking Guru Needed.

WeatherMan

Hi guys...

Come across a problem.

I'm trying to set up a website, via apache.

IP > DynDNS > 123reg Domain

Basically, I see my website via my internal Computer IP (192.168.0.7)

Cannot see it on my external (78.149.255.52)

Right now for some reason my external IP seems to forward to the Router. The same as 192.168.0.1.

How do I go about changing this, so that My external IP doesn't forward anywhere. And only shows what Apache is forwarding outside the network?

Any help is apprechiated.

WeatherMan

Anyone?

BTW the router im using is made by netgear.
I've had this problem on my DLINK too, but with a previous netgear I've owned there was a solution

Any help?

Encryptor

click.....<silence>.....Bang!!

LOL

Anyway, have you set up port forwarding to your Apache server in the router?

Encryptor
Linux rocks the planet...

Last edited:

WeatherMan

Ive setup under Firewall rules, (Inbound)

192.169.0.7 (My computer) To ALWAYS ALLOW Port 80 (Apache) /HTTP to have access to the net. / Other way around

This right ?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Does your router support DYNDNS? If not I almost just want to suggest you go buy one that does, it could make your life a whole lot easier. Also, make sure your ISP doesn't block incoming port 80 requests.

WeatherMan

Right now,

www.jccomputercare.co.uk > http://jccomputercare.ath.cx > *IP*

I've filled in the above post with my details. Status Says, *Update OK / GOOD*

Still the router forwards my External IP to Rouer Login :(

I can't say what I want it to do, Just, not forward anywhere? :confused: / Show wat apache is pushing out.

From my internal network, the domain forwards to Router Login. Outside the network. **The page Cannot be Displayed**

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
you still need to point it to your web server, all incoming port 80 request need to be forwarded.

The router support means you don't need to load the client on the machine and if the machine goes down the router is most likely still up.

WeatherMan

How do I point it to my webserver? :eek: :)

Does this mean, the routers allowing Port 80 Access inside the network, but just not forwarding it to my computer? Which serves the pages.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
How do I point it to my webserver? :eek: :)

You must assign a static IP to your web server, then in port forwarding part of your router set port 80 to that IP for incoming traffic, now your ISP may block all incoming port 80 requests, a lot of ISPs do that b/c they don't want you hosting web pages from your home

Black6

Just out of curiosity, typically do dynamic IP forwarding services allow a user to forward http requests to a port other than 80?

WeatherMan

Forgot about this thread.

I called talktalk up last night just to confirm my issue, asked if there was any way I could make a website from my computer and all they said was I can either use their webspace or buy hosting online, apparently Hosting from a domestic computer isn't in their ToS, so I believe its probably blocked. If not i assume they would have just directed me how to set it up.

For now Im just using the Instant Site from 123reg / pipex, its good enough, I only really need 1 page