networking issues

raoul_1101

RIght now, my computer keeps giving me the error "cannot connect to primary DNS server". It's runnign vista and connects wirelessly. It only can connect to the internet when the other wired computers are on. This means that my computer is connected to the router. why is it not connecting directly to the net?

RIght now, my computer keeps giving me the error "cannot connect to primary DNS server". It's runnign vista and connects wirelessly. It only can connect to the internet when the other wired computers are on. This means that my computer is connected to the router. why is it not connecting directly to the net?

What kind of router do you have? Sounds like a configuration issue...

Jabes

banned

it sounds like u have it so that its connecting thru another computer

The Qban

check to see what mode your wireless is on. Ad-hoc or infrastructure. You need infrastructure mode. Its possible that you have a mis-configruation issue in your router as ad-hoc, which will make your computer connect to another computer and through them, using the workgroups protocol IFS (internet & File sharing) you connect through that computer to the internet

Hsv_Man

For me it was in modem configuration settings a program file that was installed when i loaded the drivers for the wireless router/modem.

The Qban

to check your wireless mode. you can access the wireless router from a connected computer that works with the router, though its not wireless. bring up a ie page and in the url type in 192.168.1.1, and verify what mode.
to check for ISF, open up your NIC card properties page and verify what protocols you have installed. if you are not trying to network your computers, then all you need is the basic protocols like tcp/ip for example, you dont need any novell or ISF protocols