Networking questions!

alfonzo

So I am vaguely familiar with networking and routers and things and I wanted to ask some questions.

All I really know about it is how IP addresses, default gateways, and subnets work, as far as settings for routers, hubs, etc go I am completely clueless.

so, first what is a good speed for a connection, I believe the one I have at home runs at 100 mbps.

Second, what is a good way to set the resources through the router? I have two computers and my XBOX hooked up through this connection, what are some ways that I can maximize the connection speeds for each of these.

Lastly, how do I even access the settings on the router?

Any links or other information would be highly appreciated,

Thanks

cohen

OK,

Well to access the router settings, you need to either type in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 into internet explorer, then a login box will pop up. Type in admin for the username and leave the password box blank! and you should be able to get in.

Right now, your connection if it is 100MBPS is really slow! a nice one is like 1MB +! I have a 1.5MB and it's fast and at home, my family and i have 5+ computers on the network.

Also, to maximize your speed, you would need a fast switch, not a hub, and CAT5 cable running to everything.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cohen :)

alfonzo

yup, thanks alot.

That IP address is that suppossed to be my Primary DNS, default gateway?

I guess what I am asking is why are those two addresses used as oppossed to others?

alfonzo

ok, so I am a little confused.

What is the difference from 1MB and 100MBPS,

Am I correct saying that means 1 MegaBite and 100 MegaBites per second.

If so then why is 1 faster than 100?

cohen

ok, so I am a little confused.

What is the difference from 1MB and 100MBPS,

Am I correct saying that means 1 MegaBite and 100 MegaBites per second.

If so then why is 1 faster than 100?

Sorry, i miss read your 100mbps,

yes that is fast!

yup, thanks alot.

That IP address is that suppossed to be my Primary DNS, default gateway?

I guess what I am asking is why are those two addresses used as oppossed to others?

No, i don't think you need the DNS set, i don't have it anyway.

andross

you wouldnt wanna hard code your IP information unless you know what your IP scheme is. If you hardcode the incorrect information into your computer then it will be on a different network than your router and it will not work.

First I would allow your computer to get its IP information via DHCP. After you write it down then pick a network within the same range of the default gateway. If you hardcode your DNS you would typically use the same IP and your Default Gateway and it should work fine.

In order to access your Router settings you will need to type in the routers IP into IE and it should pull up with a login (depending on your router) some will ask for a username and password others will ask for only a username. Typically these are configured when you first setup your network. If you dont know the information you might wanna contact your router OEM. Good luck, feel free to let me know if you need anything else :)

alfonzo

Yes,

actually I do need to get into contact with my OEM.

OEM as I found out means Original Equipment Manufacturer, is that like the internet service like Charter, or the company that produced the router like linksys?

Or is it completely a different company?

cohen

Yes,

actually I do need to get into contact with my OEM.

OEM as I found out means Original Equipment Manufacturer, is that like the internet service like Charter, or the company that produced the router like linksys?

Or is it completely a different company?

andross is referring to your router manufacturer, so that would be linksys.

Cohen