New Basic Desktop for Grandparents

chronicfuture12

Hey, my grandparents recently decided that they wanted a computer, so my family is chipping in to get them one. The budget is no more than $800, and all they are doing is basic tasks such as e-mail and Internet. I do, however, want this computer to last a pretty long time for them. Also, a good monitor is imperative for their eyes. Thanks for any help!

Emperor_nero

for basic stuff you can get a really good one for $800:
RAM: 1GB
HDD: 160GB-200GB
CPU: Single core should be fine, Maybe Dual if you want to last a long time tho...
Video Card: On board should be fine
Monitor: LCD

jiSh

Don't see why they'd need a gig of ram and 200GB of hard drive space either. Look in local shops for a good deal.

matt3118

Dell really does have the best desktops. They can make 'em cheap and effective. They'll get the job done for what your grandparents will be using it for. It just has to be library computer quality- good enough for loading a web page within 5 seconds, and to open Word in under 2 hours.

computerhakk

VIP Member
If you want to last a long time, maybe think of building one like you may of in the first place. Dell, they are great on laptops but as far as quality and longevity, they don't really do all that great on desktop pc's. Not saying that they are not a good buy, but for a desktop that you want to last maybe a generation after, you might want to think of building one from hardwares you can trust and know. 800$ should be enough to have a good quality build for what your family needs.

I would probably get them a Dimension E520 from Dell with the following specs:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 524 (3.06GHz, 533FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive
20 inch Ultrasharp™ 2007FP Digital Flat Panel
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

And I didn't add anything else, I just hit "add to cart." That monitor is nice and big (20") and clear...should be fine for them. The total price for that is just under $800 ($795), with free shipping.

That monitor is really what drives the price up...fyi.

Technogab

Not to sound like an Apple pusher. But for that price you can get a used Imac G5. And the screen and computer all all built into 1. I did this for my Mom (age 65) and she is not that computer literate. Actually I recommend Mac's to anyone who is not PC savy.

This will save you tons of headaches in supporting your Grandparents, because Mac's don't get viruses or spyware.

I used to be at my Mom's every weekend cleaning up spyware because she didn't realize what she was clicking on or agreeing to when pop-ups came up. That will probably be the same case for your Grandparents.

Plus Mac's are very easy to use, and built very well. Another plus is that an Imac will be less confusing because there are not wires going all over the place. Everything is built into the monitor. They just have a keyboard and mouse to hook up

mrbagrat

banned
You actually do sound like an apple fanboy. But since you said you aren't, I won't hold it against you.

Anyway, dell desktops are perhaps the crappiest of all OEM computers you can get. Go for Gateway or HP. If you really want to build it, I'll have a configuration in the next hour. Shipping, taxes, XP, and Office included.

EDIT: If you want, I have a computer built that I don't need. PM me for specs, a RAM upgrade and it should be fine for your grandparents.

Last edited:

Emperor_nero

You actually do sound like an apple fanboy. But since you said you aren't, I won't hold it against you.

Anyway, dell desktops are perhaps the crappiest of all OEM computers you can get. Go for Gateway or HP. If you really want to build it, I'll have a configuration in the next hour. Shipping, taxes, XP, and Office included.

In my opinion gateways are some of the worst.

mrbagrat

banned
Well, lets just say all OEMs are bad. :) . But I guess its from experience. I have a dell. It sucks. I'm assuming you two have had Gateways and HPs respectivley and didn't like them.