New Budget Computer

xxartanisxx

Building a gaming system for my little brother looking to keep things in the range of $300 for the parts. Really just looking for help with the CPU and GPU right now and trying to keep those 2 about $120ish.

Right now im looking at Intel Celeron G1610 and AMD A4-6300 for the CPU's And as far as the GPU's im looking at either the GeForce GT 630 or Radeon HD 6670.

Open to any suggestions and willing to stretch the price a small amount if it will help. Just looking to run modern games with medium-low settings and a playable framerate.

daisymtc

A4-5600K for OC + 6670 for crossfire.
Mobo - may worth spending more on FM2+ mobo. But it may end up overbudget.

Jiniix

Here's what I would do:

Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2: $45 (after $10 MIB)
AMD A6-5400K: $66 ($1 shipping)
PowerColor HD 6570 1GB: $29 (after 25% discount, $20 MIB and $4 shipping)
Total: $140

Pair them up for crossfire and overclock the snot out of them. The HD 6570 is exactly the same chip as the 6670, and if you overclock it, you'll reach pretty much the same performance.
You shouldn't worry if you don't know how to overclock. AMD has done it very easy. You just install the AMD display driver and look for AMD OverDrive. There you'll find a button called Auto-Tune. It'll stand for 30-45 minutes and tune the OC itself. Very neat.

Jiniix

I have two Celeron G540's and a bunch of Core 2 Duo E7200. The C2D overclocked to 3GHz scores exactly the same as the G540, and it's not bad.
The only difference between Celeron G1610 and Pentium G2020 is 2MB L3+0.5MB L2 vs 3MB L3 cache. And the clock speeds of course. And the price.
I would advise OP to go with AMD at this price point though, since I'm sure the A6-5400K+HD6570 will be better than a G1610+HD6570, due to crossfire.

xxartanisxx

Ok so if you guys wanna take a look at all of this and throw out any suggestions on anything.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=23452625

HDD and ODD combo here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1461362

Comes out to $475 with $40 in MIR which will work.

As far as the case comes i'm kinda a sucker for cool looking things and i think my little brother will love that so ill spend a little extra for it. I also have a brand new 140mm case fan laying around that i got extra from a previous build will that fit in that case or is it ok to just drill out a few holes and stick it somewhere viable?

Keyboard mouse and monitor all open to suggestions as well I'd just prefer to keep a decent size monitor in there as i hate looking at small i don't wanna make him look at it either.

Oh and you can crossfire CPUs + GPUs? Ive never looked into anything like that lol. Has this been possible forever or just semi recently and is there anything special involved with it?

xxartanisxx

Case:
APEVIA X-Sniper X-SNIPER2-GN Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ Side Window-Green
$50

Monitor:
Dell E2014H Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor
$90

Mobo:
GIGABYTE GA-F2A55M-HD2 FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$45 after $10 MIR

PSU:
COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$25 after $10 MIR

Mouse Keyboard:
Logitech MK120 Black USB Wired Slim Desktop
$20

RAM:
Mushkin Enhanced 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996573
$40

CPU:
AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon ...
$65

GPU:
PowerColor Go! Green AX6570 1GBK3-HEV2 Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support ...
$25 after $20 MIR

Sorry can't figure out how to get the wish list to appear in public.

Twiki

I agree about the PSU. Go for the better ones like that CX430. Going modular removes clutter so it's worth it. You use only the cables you need.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Case:
APEVIA X-Sniper X-SNIPER2-GN Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ Side Window-Green
$50

Monitor:
Dell E2014H Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor
$90

Mobo:
$45 after $10 MIR

PSU:
COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$25 after $10 MIR

Mouse Keyboard:
Logitech MK120 Black USB Wired Slim Desktop
$20

RAM:
Mushkin Enhanced 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996573
$40

CPU:
AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon ...
$65

GPU:
PowerColor Go! Green AX6570 1GBK3-HEV2 Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support ...
$25 after $20 MIR

Sorry can't figure out how to get the wish list to appear in public.

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231474

CPU, I would spend the extra 10 bucks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113335

Power supply, like has been said.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

xxartanisxx

First of all i wanna say thanks to everyone for all the advice now i need a little help getting this thing working lol :(.

Here is what i ordered:

AMD A6-6400K Richland 3.9GHz Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD AD640KOKHLBOX

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

CORSAIR CXM series CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM

After i put this together the first thing that happened was everything would come on for a split second then shut back off. Fans would spin LED lights would power on but everything would shut off immediately. I would have to flip the switch on the back of the PSU to get the same result. If i did not flip the switch nothing would happen at all the second time i pressed the power button.

I then took my Antec 750W PSU from my computer and hooked it up to this build. Everything turned on fine and stayed on but i could not get any display at all. Nor would pressing/holding the power button turn the computer back off. I would have to flip the switch on the PSU to turn it off.

I have made sure all the connections are secure and everything is plugged in the way it supposed to be. This is my second build so i'm familiar with how it all should go.

I appreciate any advice and thanks.

Twiki

You do have the 4 pin CPU power plugged in?

Oh yeah, did you do the out of case power up first? That's the motherboard laying on the cardboard or wood surface, CPU and HSF plugged in, one ram module, video card, PSU and monitor.

Locate the power switch pins and short 'em with a coin or a screwdriver.

Last edited:

xxartanisxx

Ill take it all apart and try to start it up without the case. And yes the CPU power cord is plugged in.

But would that make any sense if it worked with the other PSU in the EXACT same setup?

And no difference with it out of the case on wood.

Last edited:

Twiki

That would eliminate the shorting in the case. My guess would be that the motherboard is defective.

By the way, do you have a PC speaker hooked up?

xxartanisxx

And as for not getting any video ill set up my other power supply and play around with that a little in the near future if anyone has any good ideas on that.

Jiniix

Which component do you plug the monitor in to? GPU or mobo?
Try them individually first. Take the GPU out, put the cable in the mobo. Boot up.
Test the GPU in another PC perhaps (should be easy, it doesn't require any power cables etc)

xxartanisxx

Well I got a new PSU and the thing will turn on and run but cant get any video still.

I've tried getting post beeps but cant get anything with no video card or RAM in. Ive checked all the pins and proper seating on CPU. I'm thinking next step new mobo any thoughts?