New build, no beep, no dsiplay

Joshua1187

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL

http://www.computerforum.com/210907-new-gaming-build.html

Hey Guys,

I went with these components here, have them all now, Put them all together and no beeps no picture. The computer fires up and the fans on the GPU, PSU, CPU, case fans, all of that lights up and turns on. Ive tried both sticks of ram, one stick of ram, switching the ram. Pulled the CMOS battery.. Pulled out the GPU... All resulted in nothing. could it be that the MOBO is bad?

Thanks!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Got the standoffs in the correct places? Got the 4/8 pin CPU power connector in?

Last edited:

Joshua1187

its got an 8 pin at the left top, both plugs (separate for a 4 pin mobo i think) are pluged in. 24 is in also. I even unplugged and plugged them back in to be sure.

Mishkin

Assuming it's not your memory or psu, and everything is connected correctly and nothing is shorting out, my guess is it is the mobo.

I've only built two computers, but one of them had a bad mobo...same symptoms as you. Replaced it and she started right up.

Joshua1187

:X this is my third build, first two no problems.. Faulty mobo is what i was afraid of! Any other ideas before i take this all apart and send this thing back?

Joshua1187

Now i've unplugged the HDD and the disk drive.. also the front case USB and sound port.. still no sound. Im using my headphones through the mobo speaker port.. that should work right? if the post was even running?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the 6 pin pci express power connector to the video card plugged in?

Joshua1187

wait... that thing has an 8 pin female.. is it supposed to only be 6 pins plugged in? I plugged in both the PCI-e cables without the second 2 pin.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What I would do is build the pc outside of the case to make sure you aren't grounding out somewhere. Set the motherboard on a piece of cardboard and go from there.

Joshua1187

Ok pulled it out and put it on top of the MOBO box, tried it with two stix of ram, one, in different slots, GPU in different spots, all same result.

harry clemance

Could you take a picture so we can have a look to see if you have missed anything :) but as you have done 2 already it does sound like your mobo is faulty

Joshua1187

We took the plugs out but I pointed them out in the picture.. also in the second picture, we had the video card in the blue slot (PCI E 16) with these two plugs minus the 2 side plugs.

Greenshot_2012-05-19_17-45-36_v1.png

Greenshot_2012-05-19_17-44-48_v3.png

Edit: damn i don't know why its so small, its much bigger in google picasa.

Edit2: fixed.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
It might be because you only have one stick of RAM installed, your board may need two or more installed to boot.

Remove any front header connectors you have installed (USB, audio etc) apart from the power button and see if it boots then. Try removing and unplugging any USB or expansion brackets you have. Try removing the graphics card and see if you can get it boot using onboard video.

Read this http://www.computerforum.com/209946-tech-guide-diagnosing-pc-will-not-post-start.html

Last edited:

Joshua1187

Thanks vistakid. I tried all those things and i used 2 sticks of ram and one, unplugged all the extras including the vid card and fans.. only left the LED lights and front power. Oh also unplugged the front hdaudio and usb. All same outcome.. ive taken it all apart and ready to send it back.. if its the same thing with the new board shoud i send the processor back?

spirit

Staff member
Yes send the processor back with the board too and see if you can get whoever you bought it from to send you a replacement. It could be a bad processor, but it's likely a bad board.

Sorry to hear your first build hasn't gone well, normally this doesn't happen. Did you take precautions to avoid ESD? If not, that could have been what has killed your board. :(

Joshua1187

anytime coming back to the machine I rubbed my hands on the other part of the metal case to diffuse static electricity, should I have done something different?

I don't know what GFX is? the board claims to be AM3 ready including fx4100 ready.

spirit

Staff member
You probably shouldn't have rubbed your hands, that can build up charge. All you need to do is touch a piece of grounded, bare (unpainted) metal for a few seconds.