New build will not boot and CPU fan not spinning.

brinky2006

Hi everyone,

I have a new PC which I built around two weeks ago, imaged and was fully working until now. The specs are below;

Intel Pentium E2160 CPU
GIGABYTE GA 946GMX-S2 Motherboard
JEANTECH 350WATT PSU
WD 160GB Hard Drive
2GB DDR2 667 RAM

When I switch the PC on, the screen is blank, and the CPU fan spins for a couple of seconds and just stops.

The user used the PC once after being built and this error has suddenly appeared.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Adam

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Take everything out of the case, and put it on a non conductive item. Try starting it from there. If it starts, there's a short somewhere.

350W? And from that manufacturer?

^ I think we found it. Your PSU is insufficient enough to post that rig. I'd suggest getting a new one, even if it's not the problem.

lovely?

i see that you use ddr 667 in both your rig and your builds, it wont cause the error but as far as i know ddr800 is cheaper and faster, why not use it?

brinky2006

Okay, all I had is a 200w PSU which I know is working fine. I tried that with it only connected to the motherboard using the 24pin and 4 pin ATX connectors. The CPU fan is still not spinning and it wont POST. Im going to try taking everything out of the case tommorow and see if I can get my hands on a more powerfull PSU.

Adam

oscaryu1

VIP Member
200W? That'd have trouble powering a P2... I'd get at least 450W and 20-25A on the 12V+ line for the PSU...

brinky2006

I knew 200w was going to be useless. I am going to get hold of a 450w PSU after the holiday and try that. Hopefully that is the problem.

Adam