New comp not working

ktg0505

OMG OMG, it's working.

I was laying in bed thinking about that diagram and i suddenly realized i didn't connect the PSU to the mobo in both places (forgot the 4pin connector).

I feel so dumb, but relieved! Thanks to everyone again.

ktg0505

OH geez i'm having a roller coaster ride here.

It's starting up now. I go to install windows, works for a little bit. Then prompts to hit enter to install. Nothing happens, so i restart. Now it will only stay on for a few seconds and then it cuts off. I'm afraid something might be overheating?

Bodaggit23

OH geez i'm having a roller coaster ride here.

It's starting up now. I go to install windows, works for a little bit. Then prompts to hit enter to install. Nothing happens, so i restart. Now it will only stay on for a few seconds and then it cuts off. I'm afraid something might be overheating?

You didn't put the graphics card back in did you? I would leave it out until you
get the OS installed.

Bob692006

Just to clear it up. The MSG pins on the mobo are for a power LED on the case if you have one. For example my case http://www.computerforum.com/147982-my-rig.html has a Z on the front with a blue LED that lights up when my system is on. If you don't have an LED on the front then you won't have anything to plug into those connectors. IRT your install issue, when you put the heatsink on your CPU, you did put thermal paste on it right? May sound like a dumb question but want to make sure. Also, is the HDD you put in a new one or did you pull it from an older system?

ktg0505

Got a friend to look at it. Turns out the heatsink was seated properly.

Everything seems to be ok for now..

ktg0505

Oops, meant to say "wasn't seated properly".

Yes, everything is working great now.. Thanks so much for the help.

Justin Horne

Haha, ouch. Well, good to hear it's working. I actually almost suggested the dual power plugs, because a friend had the exact same thing happen to him. It took him just about the same amount of time to realize too. Cool it's working though.