New Computer, Windows wont act right

david76008

So I got a used computer to play with. I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP pro. Installation was fast, and booted fine. But when Windows loads, seems a bit too empty. It is the Service pack 2, but it wont connect to the internet. I have tried downloading the drivers for the Motherboard, but seems to do nothing.

Computer:
Abit AN7 Motherboard
AMD Athalon 2500
ATI 9800
Wireless card

Nothing big, but I just want it to get online to surf the web.

I did a clean install. Started the computer and installed a fresh copy of XP. Meaning formatting the Hard drive, and started fresh.

Can anyone help me. Should I re-install it a different way? Why isn't it connecting to the Internet? Why does Window seem a little empty/blah?

Thanks so much!

PC eye

banned
Once Windows is up and running it won't automatically connect online. You first have to use the IE setup wizard in order to configure how you connect online with the information provided by the ISP like user name, password, default number for dialup or server address information for incoming and outgoing mail, etc. with dsl or cable.

david76008

I have Cable(Charter Communications)

I have tried setting it up, and nothing. (not sure if I have done it right)

But the local connection says "Connected/Firewalled" but gets NO Activity (sent/received)

Also, I thought XP would come with:
-My Documents
-My Computer
-So on... on the desktop. Its empty. Only has the Recycle bin.

I'm just new at this. This is my second computer I have done this on. So not sure if it's me, or the machine :confused:

PC eye

banned
When first getting Charter they should have assigned you a user name and password. For multiple machines you may to request a second one of each unless reusing the first to follow the original instructions they provided. Make sure you used the Lan cable if set for Lan or usb for usb for their modem there.

david76008

Well, it's connected to a routed. I have 4 computers connected to that router. 3 desktops and 1 laptop.

The desktops are connected with the RJ45 cable. The laptop is wireless.

When I connected the desktops, it didn't ask me to change any settings. It just detected the connection, got the ip address, and got online.

I'm just wondering if the installation went right as well. Im going to call charter to see if the can help me with the lan

I have also tried to make new connections, and it won't make them. It will only keep "1394 Connection"

Last edited:

david76008

Ohhh I believe the connection is not working due to the Drivers on the Motherboard not being installed.

I searched Yahoo for "Abit AN7 drivers". Download a couple, burned them on a cd, and installed, but they didn't do anything.

Could that be a problem as well?

PC eye

banned
You want to get driver like those for the chipset on for obvious reasons like those for video and sound. But since you mentioning wireless you also need to setup the drivers for that unlike the desktops were those are seeing a hard wired type of connection to the router.

Now it's time to review the self help and even online tech support Charter setup for getting you on with a wireless connection as seen at http://www.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?supportarticleid=1966