New CPU + Motherboard

Kewl Munky

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.975794

That's the combo I'm currently looking at. I still have an old Core 2 quad on an LGA 775 so I'm doing a whole new build soon. I think now is a good time as Ivy Bridge is just out, and motherboards are now out with DDR3, USB 3, Sata 3, and PCI-E 3 so I could be set on a motherboard for quite some time and probably the same with that CPU.

For the price it looks like a good deal to me. The main reason I want that motherboard is because I only plan to have two graphics cards at most and I also need to be able to have room for my PCI sound card, which most motherboards have the slots setup so that it would be blocked off if I install my cards.

I was originally looking at the bundle with the 3.1GHz 3770S ivy bridge, but they are essentially the same price. Also, according to reviews, the 3.4Ghz edition overclocks better. Even if it overclocks the same, it's still faster at stock for the same price.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

If you want to overclock you have to get the 3770k, not just 3770, the k has an unlocked multiplier which is the best way to overclock, and i know with sandy-bridge overclocking with the FSB caused several big issues making it un-usable about.

And what's this going to be used for? a 3570K should be all you need most likely.

Kewl Munky

I plan to game and I know everyone says the i5's are plenty for gaming right now, but If the i7's are overkill currently it means I should be able to sit on it for a longer time then right?

I changed the combo to the unlocked one.

jonnyp11

technically yes, but you wouldn't get that much more from it. Battlefield 3 is threaded for 8 cores but using the i7 only gets you like 3fps more, the threading doesn't give that much of a benefit, not near enough to justify 100 dollars, at least IMO.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
You'll not see the difference in games, but I think there is a big difference in applications like video editing and winrar...
Also at 3Dmark 11 scores you can see some bit a big difference between the physics scores for i5 and i7.

Kewl Munky

I understand right now there isn't a big difference, just like when quad cores were new it didn't matter if a game didn't support them. But I'm sure within the next couple years developers will be able to take more advantage of the hyper threading so it would make it more useful in the future.