new gaming laptop

dchambz

hey guys, really new to computers in general let alone gaming laptops. Im willing to spend a bit over $2000 and have been looking at the alienware m15x. i know for sure i'd be getting it with the i7-720 processor but have questions about the memory and graphics card. for the graphics card, is the 1GB NVDIA worth the $200 over the 512MB? is 4GB of RAM enough for a good gaming laptop or should i pay more for 6GB? and finally for the hard drive, is the 128GB solid state worth $150 over the 500gb SATA? thanks in advance and sorry if these are really nooby questions. any other advice on gaming laptops would be great too.

dchambz

yea...actually been looking around after i posted this and now realize that alienware is waaaaaaay overpriced...lol. I've heard good things about ASUS, but now that i think about it, this is going to be my laptop for when i got to college and wondering if any other good gaming brands like ASUS are as reliable as dell.

Drenlin

Asus makes some of the best laptops on the market...they're good. Sager is among the best as well.

dchambz

the G73jh is exactly what im looking for but i don't really want a 17" laptop. would anyone recommend the G51Jx??

1337dingo

lol... dude as long as ur system plays the games its ok.. dosent have to be top notch .. coz its ur skills playing that count ... if ur a n00b even with the best system u will get pwned

Flaring Afro

lol... dude as long as ur system plays the games its ok.. dosent have to be top notch .. coz its ur skills playing that count ... if ur a n00b even with the best system u will get pwned

wtf are you talking about? he never said he wanted a system to increase his skills. If you think people only buy high-end systems because they think they will play better than you have a screwed up mind. Some like things to look better and more detailed in games, just like in movies. Not to mention if you want to play the new games 4+ years from now you'll likely have to get a high end system now.

Also, I'd consider getting a ssd to replace on of the hdds in a G73JH-A1, especially if this is a gift from someone willing to spend the full $2k. Solid states are incredibly faster than hard drives and take up less power.

Last edited: