New Laptop advice?

boot

I am in the process of replacing my desktop that is about to pass on. I am looking at recommendations for a laptop in the price range of up too 1k. I do plan to travel with it and to use it as my primary computer. I do enjoy gaming, warcraft, age of empires... What is the recommendation for warranties? I have been told to get longest possible.

boot

New laptop

Thanks, still looking may wait until July when they release the upgrades for Windows 7 or 8 or what ever it is.:)

servesbest

choose best configured laptop for you as per your expectations with you laptop. Rather If you want a competitive pricing comparison, better you approach to a local vendor.

servesbest is totally right: picking out the laptop that works best for you is often a matter of finding the machine that matches your needs and your budget. You seem to have a pretty good idea about both of those things, so you're definitely on the right track.

Something that you might find helpful, at least as far as narrowing your options down goes, is this new application called Laptop Scout: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-laptop-scout/default.aspx You can go to the site, enter in your budget and what you're looking for in a system, and it'll give you some potential matches. I'm not sure exactly of Warcraft or AOE's system requirements, so make sure you factor those in as well.

As far as the warranty side of your question goes, that one is definitely up to you. Some folks like the security that a warranty provides, and others like to live dangerously, passing them up all together. Here's a great article about laptop warranties that might give you a little more help, though: http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyourlaptop/a/laptopwarranty.htm

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,
Cody
Windows Outreach Team

Well, I'm definitely not a robot, TFT.

I'm a member of a team working with Microsoft to help folks get the resources they need to make a good and informed decision on their new potential laptop purchases. If some of the answers that you've seen strike you as a "hit and run" type of answer, then I apologize. Our team has worked hard at sites (neowin and cnet, for example) to establish ourselves in the community as a trusted source of information.

It is never our intent to spam or simply add meaningless chatter to a discussion. If you (or boot, or anyone else) feels that I'm not adding value to the conversation here, I can definitely head elsewhere. If we don't feel we can help or contribute in a constructive and helpful way, we'll stay out of the way.

We're currently working on building a website presence, but if you require some kind of official verification, I'll gladly provide you one. For obvious reasons, I'd rather not give that info out in the public forum, but if you feel it is absolutely necessary, I can get that info to you.

Thanks,
Cody
Windows Outreach Team