new, need help loading OS

irishluck

okay, im new to this and i have a computer problem. i have had all my hardway checked, had to get a new hard drive. when i put the boot disk in and push enter, it goes back to a black screen and says boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter.

there is no os on it and thats why im trying to get back on it and it keeps saying that same thing over and over again, please help

ElenaP

In BIOS setup, also check the boot order. If you want to boot from Windows installation CD, then CD-ROM should be listed first in the boot device list. Looks like the computer tries to boot from the hard drive first.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
In BIOS setup, also check the boot order. If you want to boot from Windows installation CD, then CD-ROM should be listed first in the boot device list. Looks like the computer tries to boot from the hard drive first.

I agree.

irishluck

i dont think its detecting the hard ddrive when i looked in the bios

it shows this

Primary master [WDC WD600JB-00CRA1]
Primary Slave [Auto]
Secondary master [none]
Secondary Slave [Auto]

irishluck

also the dvd drive is selected first then hard drive

now could the problem be that my drive is a dvd r-rw rewritable drive and not a cd drive?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on the motherboard, sometimes those displays only list drives plugged into SATA ports. Although the terminology used suggests that you are looking at the PATA drives that are detected... Do you know what motherboard you have?

paulcheung

Also it depend on which o/s you use, and the type of hard drive you got, My Gateway laptop with xp doesn't recognise my new 500gb sata harddrive, I have to use Window 7 32bit to install the hard drive.
Good luck.
Paul

Geoff

VIP Member
Also it depend on which o/s you use, and the type of hard drive you got, My Gateway laptop with xp doesn't recognise my new 500gb sata harddrive, I have to use Window 7 32bit to install the hard drive.
Good luck.
Paul
OS is irrelevant when you are trying to boot from a CD.