New SSD - - Any programs I should NOT install to it?

WeApOn

I was told I should reinstall all of my Programs on the SSD.

Are there any types of programs that I should NOT install?

Also, am I correct in thinking that I essentially want to store anything that just gets read alot on my SSD, but not gets written to? This is the point of an SSD, right? Fast reads, but writing to it will reduce it's lifetime, right?

Therefore, I am keeping all of my Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos on my datadrive, and linking them to their respective libraries -- sound right?

Thanks!!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Install main programs (Windows, web browser, photoshop, etc.). Games and other programs can just be installed to the data drive.

Don't worry about drive lifetime. They'll last longer than you or I will be around on Earth.

WeApOn

Install main programs (Windows, web browser, photoshop, etc.). Games and other programs can just be installed to the data drive.

Don't worry about drive lifetime. They'll last longer than you or I will be around on Earth.

Thank you! Any issue with installing other programs to the SSD? I put Malwarebytes, programs that control my peripherals(keyboard/mouse, and game controllers), and my Video Editing programs -- Nero Vision 10, Flipshare(contains a library of my videos -- the library itself is on the data drive, but the program is on the SSD), etc.. Any issues with that?

I also have been told it's a good idea to install some games that have many loading screens to the SSD.

I have space, as it is a 240gb.

What do you think?

Thanks again!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You can install whatever you want to the SSD. I install all my primary software on mine.

WeApOn

Gotcha, yeah.. It sounds like most people recommended against storing their personal libraries on SSDs due to size concerns. That being said, if I can fit my files, I will try to do so. I don't write to those locations that often, and as you said, the SSD is likely going to live a long long time regardless.

Going to try and fit everything on my SSD and enjoy the benefits.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You worry too much.
You can install ANYTHING you want on SSD drive just as you can on HDD.
And as for the limit of read/writes,I would not worry about that since the limit is so damn big and you will never reach it...

Agent Smith

Install your games on the SSD! You will get faster load times. I do and my SSDs have 100% health after 3 years of use. I use HDD Sentinel to check the drives. Run ASssd to make sure you are aligned and that you are using AHCI. I would just put the page file on an external drive and the temp files. You really don't have to, but I do to minimize the writes. I have older SSDs. With newer SSDs they are better performing and by the time they go to crap you will be buying another drive. Of course back ups go a long way. What type of SSD did you buy?

spirit

Staff member
I just onto everything onto the SSD.

Don't worry about lifetime, but do be aware they can fail - just like USB flash drives can. I've owned several SSDs now and my first Crucial M4 lasted for just over a year before it died. It's the only one I've had that's died though and Crucial was very good about sending me a free replacement.

WeApOn

Install your games on the SSD! You will get faster load times. I do and my SSDs have 100% health after 3 years of use. I use HDD Sentinel to check the drives. Run ASssd to make sure you are aligned and that you are using AHCI. I would just put the page file on an external drive and the temp files. You really don't have to, but I do to minimize the writes. I have older SSDs. With newer SSDs they are better performing and by the time they go to crap you will be buying another drive. Of course back ups go a long way. What type of SSD did you buy?

Thank you! Is this the correct software to test that I am using the SSD properly?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_asssdbenchmark/

And I got this model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820248016

I heard it was pretty good.

Thanks everyone, I am going to put everything I can fit on my SSD for maximum potential. I agree it's not worth worrying and I doubt the drive would fail before I was ready to get a new one anyway.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
AS SSD is a good program, probably the best for that sort of thing.

Never used a Seagate SSD, but I did find their traditional line of drives very stable. They're a good company and have been around for a long time.

WeApOn

Benchmark results, anything not as it should be?

<SeqTest>
<Read>267.87 MB/s</Read>
<Write>192.63 MB/s</Write>

<Random4K1TTest>
<Read>25.10 MB/s</Read>
<Write>48.19 MB/s</Write>

<Random4K64TTest>
<Read>170.01 MB/s</Read>
<Write>48.00 MB/s</Write>

<AccTimeTest>
<Read>0.118 ms</Read>
<Write>0.049 ms</Write>

<Score>
<Read>222</Read>
<Write>115</Write>
<Total>457</Total>

Agent Smith

Does Asssd show if you have AHCI on and is aligned? Are you using SATA II? I guess the speed is alright for SATA III, but I've seen higher.

WeApOn

I am using SATA II. Unfortunately I do not have SATA III on this motherboard, but the SSD speeds are still great from what I am seeing. I will check in AS SSD mentions AHCI -- that was my main reason for getting it, but I couldn't figure out where that was.

nKv62XB.png

This is all I am seeing in the program. Do I need to re-run the benchmark for the AHCI information to appear?

Last edited:

Agent Smith

Those are pretty good speeds for a SATA II. AHCI used to be where it says iaStor. It says good so no need to worry, however you should align the drive. And that is where you can mess something up. http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-...ned-for-optimal-solid-state-drive-performance

I used a payware product that wasn't free and did my alignment. I have to see what it was called on my desktop though. I'm currently on my laptop.

Edit- The other tool is called Paragon Alignment Tool.

Last edited:

WeApOn

Those are pretty good speeds for a SATA II. AHCI used to be where it says iaStor. It says good so no need to worry, however you should align the drive. And that is where you can mess something up. http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-...ned-for-optimal-solid-state-drive-performance

I used a payware product that wasn't free and did my alignment. I have to see what it was called on my desktop though. I'm currently on my laptop.

Edit- The other tool is called Paragon Alignment Tool.

Thank you!!

I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, and there was an option to automatically align my disk. I rebooted and after a short delay, my PC booted back up and the disk is now showing OK under the alignment part of AS SSD.

Thanks!

What specific benefit does this give?