New thermal compound on North/South bridge?

Jiffyman

My north/south bridge is running hotter than it used to. It's not running dangerously hot. but it is quite a bit hotter 25c about 2-3 years ago, now it's 35c. I've heard that the chips are extreamly delicate underneath the heatsinks. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to apply new compound or just leave it alone. I am hoping I can get some advice quick, as I have the mainboard out of the system now awaiting an answer.

bomberboysk

Go ahead, as long as the heatsinks are held on with clips or screws and not by some type of thermal epoxy/adhesive you'll be fine. Make sure to clean the dust from the heatsinks while you're at it;)

Jiffyman

Thanks for your input guys. I was kinda scared too because I'm using Arctic Silver... Probably should've mentioned that. I went ahead with it and somehow my northbridge ended up running hotter! It was really a pain to get the ceramic crude off of north; it had dried to the core of the chip and I had to scrape it off with my finger nail. I'm gonna again try a lil later on and redo it, if the temps haven't dropped after it's had time to cure. Thanks again guys.

Last edited: