New to OverClocking

mikey4865

Hey all, So I just got a new computer, totally custom got it built by one of my dad's friends at a computer show. (Nutek is the company, great guys). And I was wondering about overclocking, never done it before totally new to me.

Not sure what information I need to let you know before you can safely tell me if I should overclock it and to what degree.
But this is what I got so far:
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QL/EPU Rev X.0x

500.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
463.05 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CPU:3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

4gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT

I have a program called VrangerIII and it lets me change to GPU Clock and the Memory Clock.

I dont want to have any problems, just let me know if I should overclock it and what to expect if i do.

Thanks All,
Mike

FairDoos

What CPU cooler do you have?
Whats the model of the Core 2 Duo?

You'd expect more heat, especially with Intel Core 2 Duo's.

As a noob to OC'ing i suggest you read the do's, dont's & dangers of OC'ing before you start :)

This may help! Click me if you are a cool guy.

mikey4865

Not sure which I want to upgrade joh, the VrangerIII came with the biostar disc. So should I not change anything until I get a better cooling system? And how can I tell if im running a 32bit or a 64bit OS

joh06937

the $5 cooler is not nearly enough for any decent overclock, really... get something much better. do you know what the temps are now on your cpu?

mikey4865

Vranger says 45degrees =/. Thats the best I can do, let me know if you want me to tel you anything else. And if possible could you show me an example of a good heatsink.

mikey4865

So i did auto and it change gpu clock from 550 to 601 and Memory clock from 666 to 768MHz. Temp went up to about 51 degrees. Should I revert back?

vandassen

first things first, get a heatsink. don't OC the cpu without it.

it would be nice if we could get that cpu down to ~32C idle. you can get a lot of good heatsinks for about $30. you'll be looking for socket 775 compatible like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
I have that ^
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106087
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003

take your time installing and learn a lot about installing first!

for your gpu, let's say the high 50's is your yellow zone and 60's is your red zone.

cpu red zone, rather, will be in the 50's. stay on the safe side. once you get that cooler you'll notice nicer temps. (you'll also read what the actual safe temps are under load or idle)

overclocking the cpu is quite involved and deals with the bios, so you'll have to read up on that. the video card on the other hand is usually just adjusting a slider bar on a program in very small increments. find out if the fan on the video card is adjustable and turn it up a bit to keep your temps down.

BOTH overclocks need to be tested to ensure they're stable. you'll need programs like:
speedfan
cpu-z
OCCT
Orthos
and there are plenty more...

good luck!