New to the forums, want advice on what to look for in prebuilt PCs.

wolfeking

banned
will it play it. Yes. But you will still get better building yourself. The one posted above would play circles around that one. And the HD7850 will put it to sleep. And the PSU will be much higher quality meaning 1. It will last longer. 2. it has less likelyness of failing. and 3. It will probably actually output the power it says it is.

Listen to us and build your own!That is using your hard earned money on a computer that isnt that good.No maxing out diablo 3, maybe med if the game is not to intesive, thet pc is already using older parts.

linkin

VIP Member
It's alright but only has a 6770 graphics card, which is a rebadged 5770. It won't hold up for much longer, and the build I posted is much better, after the rebates

Russ88765

I haven't had much luck with rebates and offers myself.. When I got my case they were supposed to send me a rebate for $30 back, which I called for on delivery but the person on the other line said I waited too long. Like really? What else could I do you know?

DarkNinja

will it play it. Yes. But you will still get better building yourself. The one posted above would play circles around that one. And the HD7850 will put it to sleep. And the PSU will be much higher quality meaning 1. It will last longer. 2. it has less likelyness of failing. and 3. It will probably actually output the power it says it is.

I see. Makes sense.

I have more questions, so bear with me. OK, so basically i was wondering, is it important what clothes you wear, and what type of chair you use, when building a computer? I mean, don't some clothes pick up static electricity? Also, my chair is metal and plastic, so won't that be a problem also?

spirit

Staff member
So long as you make sure you and the case are grounded, and you don't move across the carpet too much and you don't lay the components directly onto the carpet (lay them on a book or on top of an anti-static bag or something), you should be fine. Just pick up an ESD strap and do what Wolfe mentioned earlier, that way you'll be fine. :)

wolfeking

banned
Well you don't want to wear a wool sweater. I generally wear jeans, combat boots, and a t shirt and have not had any issues. I would not think that the chair you set in would matter much as long as your grounded.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I just wear jeans and a t-shirt usually and I always wear an ESD strap and never had a problem. To be honest, ESD is something that we all get paranoid about, but so long as you are always grounded, it's not going to be a problem.

DarkNinja

few things for it to work.
1. Install the PSU into the case. Do not attach it to anything else.
2. Place power cable into a surge protector.
3. Turn surge protector switch to off
4. attach power cable to PSU.
5. put ESD strap on your wrist and attach the vice of it onto a unfinished, unpainted metal surface on the computer case.

If you preform these steps, you will be good as far as shock goes. Both to you and the computer.

xD You will have to be patient with me, I'm kind of slow and clumsy, and am very nit picky. When i put on the ESD strap, does it matter where i clip it on the case? I mean is it on the door of the case you remove, or is it on any place on the case where i can clip on? What do you mean by unfinished? And my current case has sides that are painted white, i doubt they didnt add paint to it.

DarkNinja

Well you don't want to wear a wool sweater. I generally wear jeans, combat boots, and a t shirt and have not had any issues. I would not think that the chair you set in would matter much as long as your grounded.

That's the issue, i don't know what my clothes are made of, but i don't have a wool sweater.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I really think you are over worrying about this. Build the system on a table in the kitchen where it sits on vinyl, tile or something besides carpet. I've built all my systems on the table and have never had anything go bad. I don't wear the ESD strap either, just touch the metal of the case and be done with it.

DarkNinja

few things for it to work.
5. put ESD strap on your wrist and attach the vice of it onto a unfinished, unpainted metal surface on the computer case.

If you preform these steps, you will be good as far as shock goes. Both to you and the computer.

What do you mean by unpainted metal surface?

You said about not doing on a carpet surface. If the PC were built on a kitchen table, and wooden tiles, i should be fine? not sure if i can find an outlet near the table to plug the surge protector in

And those steps you just listed

do those first??

Just making sure.

And the guide someone just posted in this thread, is that ALL i will need? I'm reading it as i speak.

Last question: Will the parts go in together as the guide posted says, or can there be parts that go in in different ways?

Also, is it mandatory for the CPU to have a coat of thermal paste on top of it? Or is that not necessary if the cooler has paste on the bottom?

Last edited:

DarkNinja

Yeah I just wear jeans and a t-shirt usually and I always wear an ESD strap and never had a problem. To be honest, ESD is something that we all get paranoid about, but so long as you are always grounded, it's not going to be a problem.

Like i said, i don't know what the fabric on my clothes are. So it shouldn't make a difference what i wear? I mean i don't THINK i am wearing wool...

I am hyper nit picky about this kind of stuff.

the guide someone just posted talks about doesn't really explain what is what on the motherboard. Will i be OK finding this stuff out in the instructions manual that comes with the motherboard?

Last edited:

Mr.Moose

You have nothing to worry about with regards to an ESD, regularly touch any metal part of your case, a screw that's screwed into your case will be enough. Wear some shoes if you're that paranoid. Yes, your motherboard manual should be fairly clear with where everything gets plugged in, though there really isn't that much. It's a little intimidating at first, but there's not that much you have to think about or worry about. Also, I'm not sure if you've ordered the parts, but just an alteration to linkin's build, other users please comment if I'm missing something with my suggestion though...

Wouldn't it be better to cut back a bit on the motherboard, and go for a better video card?

Say this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544 Motherboard

And this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127564 GPU

In total, it would end up being less overall.

Also, @ OP. I know building a computer can seem a little daunting at first, but it's really much more simple than it appears.
Feel free to ask any more questions if you get stuck.

...Unless it includes something about you shorting your parts ;)

DarkNinja

You have nothing to worry about with regards to an ESD, regularly touch any metal part of your case, a screw that's screwed into your case will be enough. Wear some shoes if you're that paranoid. Yes, your motherboard manual should be fairly clear with where everything gets plugged in, though there really isn't that much. It's a little intimidating at first, but there's not that much you have to think about or worry about. Also, I'm not sure if you've ordered the parts, but just an alteration to linkin's build, other users please comment if I'm missing something with my suggestion though...

Wouldn't it be better to cut back a bit on the motherboard, and go for a better video card?

Say this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544 Motherboard

And this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127564 GPU

In total, it would end up being less overall.

Also, @ OP. I know building a computer can seem a little daunting at first, but it's really much more simple than it appears.
Feel free to ask any more questions if you get stuck.

...Unless it includes something about you shorting your parts ;)

To specify what i mean, i don't think there is an outlet near my kitchen table for a surge protector, does that mean i can't build the PC? My kitchen floor is wooden tiles. I will buy the strap, but like i said i don't know what the material of my clothes are. Should i be OK?

Mr.Moose

To specify what i mean, i don't think there is an outlet near my kitchen table for a surge protector, does that mean i can't build the PC? My kitchen floor is wooden tiles. I will buy the strap, but like i said i don't know what the material of my clothes are. Should i be OK?

I've personally never even used a strap, if it'll make you feel more comfortable using one, that's up to you. No, you can still build your PC whether you have the ability for it to be plugged into a surge protector or not. Do not have your computer plugged in while building it though, just a heads up.

DarkNinja

cheese.....YES!You will be okay, were your clothes, no socks, extension cable for surge protector, esd strap.

Wow, I guess i'm not the only ninja around.

Other guy just said that surge protector isn't needed...I'm feeling that the strap is all you need, if he is right...

DarkNinja

I've personally never even used a strap, if it'll make you feel more comfortable using one, that's up to you. No, you can still build your PC whether you have the ability for it to be plugged into a surge protector or not. Do not have your computer plugged in while building it though, just a heads up.

...But didn't someone say to get the PSU plugged into the Surge protector first?? I'm getting mixed instructions.