New video card

Okedokey

No. If you re-install an operating system you HAVE to re-install your games as well. Does not matter where the games are located,

Absolute nonsense.

I have all my games on a seperate hard drive to the os, which is also where I originally installed Steam, etc etc. I simply double click on the Steam.exe, it reinstalls steam and all the game connections in 2 minutes tops. Thats all games.

Pretty sure a lot of ignore him, he's very stubborn and doesn't seem to realize that some people have slower computers and/or internet and doesn't listen to opposing arguments.

Look at his specs, I did, and it would take him 45 minutes to be up and running again. Lets see how long this take (days already).

tech savvy

No. If you re-install an operating system you HAVE to re-install your games as well. Does not matter where the games are located, the games put files into the registry of the operating system when they install and without those files you will get an error telling you to re-install the game to fix the problem. Like I said, a few games might work (most likely cheap, small games) but mainstream games will not.

Lol. No you don't. Ive done it 100's of times. Lol, I can't believe you uninstalled your games, then re-installed them because you didnt think they would work, funny. No wonder it takes you hours to get everything up in running.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Bigfellla, nice OC there! 5.1, sweet. Hows that Antec H20 treating you? Makes me want to throw my Corsair H60 in there trash, and get the Antec H20,lol.

They cool almost the same, you'll gain no, or not much improvement.
You can better go for a h80.

Btw: most good aircoolers will cool better then the h60 and the antec 620.

FuryRosewood

Big is right about running steam.exe on another drive reinstalls steam without having to reinstall all games...but hes off base on everything else. That is fine. And we are still off base on topic. Without reinstalling windows, how would you address the OPs issue?

Okedokey

Big is right about running steam.exe on another drive reinstalls steam without having to reinstall all games...but hes off base on everything else. That is fine. And we are still off base on topic. Without reinstalling windows, how would you address the OPs issue?

Spend four days randomly trying everything and resinstalling everything to find that the OS would have indeed solved it - if not, you can be assured its the hardware issue.

tech savvy

What? These are the games I have on my 1TB that I never have to re-install after a fresh install of windows; WoW, Starcarft, RTW, NFSW, Empire, FF7, DOOM Collector's Edition, Diablo I & II, C&C First Decade, 1701 A.D, 1602 A.D, Sims 1-2-3 and all expansion, Resident Evil 4-5.

They cool almost the same, you'll gain no, or not much improvement.
You can better go for a h80.

He's pulling 5.1-5.3 with the h20, I can't come near that with the h60, temps get to high. The max OC I can do with the h60 is 4.6, after that temps soar past 70c, to high for my liking.

Btw: most good aircoolers will cool better then the h60 and the antec 620.

That may be true(CPU wise), but you will have higher case temps, do to it circulating the heat in the case, rather then out the back/top. Also, it's like having a heating coil in your case. Point is, you may get the same/better CPU temps, but you will pay for it in other ways, higher MoBo temps,higher GPU temps, just higher case temps in general.

But anyways, sorry for the hj'ing the thread.

G80FTW

Lol. No you don't. Ive done it 100's of times. Lol, I can't believe you uninstalled your games, then re-installed them because you didnt think they would work, funny. No wonder it takes you hours to get everything up in running.

Your kidding right? I cant believe Im the only one who has to do this. Its not that I dont "think" they will work, I know. Because I have tried in the past. Unless Windows 7 is different from Vista or XP in this regard, then you do.

It may be different doing it through steam, however games that do not use steam will not work with an OS re-install without being re-installed.

Okedokey

Your kidding right? I cant believe Im the only one who has to do this. Its not that I dont "think" they will work, I know. Because I have tried in the past. Unless Windows 7 is different from Vista or XP in this regard, then you do.

It may be different doing it through steam, however games that do not use steam will not work with an OS re-install without being re-installed.

Again absolute nonsense. You install the game on a seperate hard drive, link a game to steam (non-steam game) and it works in the exact same way. LOL. In other games, its an easy fix, you just don't know what you're doing. I haven't reinstalled a game in years. For example, WOW, which you said takes hours, requires nothing but a small reg change. Ill say it again, you don't need to reinstall anything. All the data is there. You just have to have a clue.

That may be true(CPU wise), but you will have higher case temps, do to it circulating the heat in the case, rather then out the back/top. Also, it's like having a heating coil in your case. Point is, you may get the same/better CPU temps, but you will pay for it in other ways, higher MoBo temps,higher GPU temps, just higher case temps in general.

Your suggestion breaks the laws of thermodynamics because in order to maintain the CPU temps equivalent to the WC setup, the heat load must be going somewhere thus, upon equilibrium, no addtional heat will be in the case.

Last edited:

Okedokey

And you're misunderstanding how thermodynamics works.

You are conducting heat away from the CPU, and regardless of rate, delta T has to be equally high. If the CPU temps for both technologies are the same, then the heat is elsewhere.

The heat radiated from an aircooler goes into the air (obviously) but in order to do that, the delta T has to be sufficient enough to allow for that. If the case temp is higher as you claim, the efficiency of the air cool must drop, thereby increasing the CPU temp. This isn't happening therefore the ambient temp in the case must be very close to that of a wc, due to airflow and ventilation. Its quite simple.

tech savvy

Again absolute nonsense. You install the game on a seperate hard drive, link a game to steam (non-steam game) and it works in the exact same way. LOL. In other games, its an easy fix, you just don't know what you're doing. I haven't reinstalled a game in years. For example, WOW, which you said takes hours, requires nothing but a small reg change. Ill say it again, you don't need to reinstall anything. All the data is there. You just have to have a clue.

Your suggestion breaks the laws of thermodynamics because in order to maintain the CPU temps equivalent to the WC setup, the heat load must be going somewhere thus, upon equilibrium, no addtional heat will be in the case.

Where does the heat from the air cooler go? That's right, in the case, thus having higher case temps. Closed loop puts it out the back/top of case. Having higher case temps doesn't necessarily mean higher CPU temps. The top air coolers have mad pipes/fins that can dissipate the heat from the CPU faster, thus having lower CPU temps, but higher case temps. From my experience, anyway.

Okedokey

Again, you don't understand thermodynamics, if the heat was being dissapated into the case at a increased rate thereby increasing case temps, the cpu would (after equilibrium) get hotter (which it isnt). The only time that would happen is where the case ventilation is insufficient. But where clearly, where CPU temps are the same, that is not a limitation, therefore, case temps aren't significantly higher.

Last edited:

G80FTW

If you say so bro. Iv only been building computer for 11 years, I have no idea what Im talking about. Done plenty of windows installs and re-installs (no re-install with 7 yet though).

Im just telling you from experience, most if not all the games will not work after re-installing the operating system. There are a few that will yes, but many mainstream games will not. And I said nothing about WOW, that was someone else. I dont play WOW.

This may or may not be a good read for you:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/104651/running-games-from-a-second-hard-drive

All I could find on the subject, but games do install files into the registry upon installation. Which is why when you re-install windows, you will have a new registry without those files and when you go to try and run the game it will give you an error telling you that you need to re-install the game. I have done this before man, I know. And not all games do that no, but the majority do. Your taking a chance on the game working without a re-install of it.

Last edited:

FuryRosewood

Then do like I have for the past 2 or 3 days. Ignore it. I gave up because responding to this is a waste of my life :D Aw sh1t I just responded... *offs self*