Newb questions about gaming rig

shaller77

So lately i've been thinking about getting a gaming rig. I mostly play wow and some and diablo 2 whenever that comes out...... Right now, i play wow on my macbook pro, but it doesn't play games as well as i would want it to. Don't get me wrong, i love my macbook to death, but it could be better in the gaming department. So here's a list of some questions and concerns that i need to be cleared up along with a possible rig.

1) I am looking to build a rig between 600 and 750 before the price of windows.
2) I want to computer to have a very noticeable increase in performance compared to my laptop (2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512mb)
3) Is it worth it to get something that can be overclocked?
4) Should i buy a computer from ibuypower? Build it myself? Any other good custom computer manufactures?
5) Should i spend the extra $ on an intel based system because it seems like i can get a high end amd cpu for the same price as a decent intel one.

Here is what i picked out from ibuypower so let me know what you think. I would like to make things a little cheaper so let me know where i need upgrades and downgrades.

case: NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Case Black w/ Blue Light
processor: [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU
cooling: Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [AMD]
memory: 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module corsair or major brand
video card: ATI Radeon HD 5570 - 1GB
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 -- AMD 770
power supply: 550 Watt -- Power Supply
hard drive: 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s
The sound card, speakers, keyboard, mouse etc. are all basic

Thanks for the help

shaller77

I know some of you guys enjoy picking out parts for custom rigs, so feel free to do that in my price range. It would be great help. Thanks!

daisymtc

I think it would be better for you to build it yourself.

If you plan to play game, video card need at least 5670. 5770 would probably be better for your price. And with your price range, amd provide good performance and better upgradeability in future.
If you go to these custom build, make sure you get a good PSU.

carter89

Hey I just built my rig last week for wow and starcraft 2 gaming and the 5770 was perfect. I got the i5 750 for processor but I dont know how that compares but my rig can handle anything wow throws at me (havent tried the mass AOE that people say get them laggy) and I play it on ultra (minus the shows cuz apparently its not worth it on max) with a constant 60fps starcraft 2 is the same and the graphics look superb. my rig i got was ~715 not counting the OEM sys builders windows 7. O and Btw building the comp was Soooo much fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat :)

daisymtc

For gaming machine, building it yourself usually be cheaper to buy one. Also, you can choose good quality component than the cheap OEM.