(News) Stained Windows! Microsoft to mark illegal copies

OvenMaster

VIP Member
There is a difference between purchasing a copy of an operating system for a leisure time computer and feeding a family. Stealing an operating system is illegal and should be punished. Period. That's the premise of discussion, not a moral obligation to get a job and feed a family.
Tom
PS: Congratulations. You have the dubious honor of being the first one I've decided to put on ignore since I've been a member. I don't have time to listen to people who bend and pervert the law to suit themselves and their lack of moral fiber and conscience, and to justify criminal acts.

Last edited:

ElmoBro23

Most people don't simply use a computer for leisure time. What if you had a job working as an IT professional for Microsoft for the last 30 years, and you suddenly disvoered you were laid-off because your job was outsourced to some cheap labor in India. So now your stuck, no means of support,, and your only skill is with computers. You're too old to compete with the new labor market of college grads and the geniuses in Asia. So now you're completely screwed over. You decide to open up your own online support agency but you own an outdated OS that can't support your needs, and you can't afford the overpriced Windows XP, so you download your pirated copy along with a pirated product key. (Let me wrap things up) Should you now be hauled off to prison (or in this case, punished by Microsoft) by just attmepting to make do with what you have and earn a living for your family?:(

ElmoBro23

OvenMaster said:
PS: Congratulations. You have the dubious honor of being the first one I've decided to put on ignore since I've been a member. I don't have time to listen to people who bend and pervert the law to suit themselves and their lack of moral fiber and conscience, and to justify criminal acts.

Sorry if the utilization of my first ammendment rights intimidate you, maybe America isn't the right place for you buddy-boy:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Filip

OvenMaster said:
Because Micro$oft hasn't found out yet. That's my guess.
Tom

I don't know if this is againt forum rules but... I don't know one person that ownes a legit copy of Windows XP here where I live, except my dad, he got it for free with his HP laptop.

No one really cares, our government has much more important work to do then to look for persons who have illegal copies of software.

Last edited:

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Perhaps it does depend on the government of the country, Filip. Here, the government's always on the lookout for it. And that's the end of my contribution to this thread.
Tom

Filip

OvenMaster said:
Perhaps it does depend on the government of the country, Filip. Here, the government's always on the lookout for it. And that's the end of my contribution to this thread.
Tom

Ok, lol, seems like you are in a bad mood today. :(

ElmoBro23

filip-matijevic said:
No one really cares, our government has much more important work to do then to look for persons who have illegal copies of software.

You know why the govenrment cares, because the exchange of these pirated copies of Windows' OS's probably causes Microsoft to lose milions of dollars in revenue each year. And Microsoft is a pretty "Big-Ass" Corporation, that contributes a lot to our economy and government, so anything that's affecting its operation you had better believe some part of our government is taking notice and will probably aid Microsoft in stopping it. Because when it comes to money our U.S. Government doesn't F**ck Around.

Like for example, they've just passed a law that'll put anyone caught in the attempted illegal download of music, in jail for up to 20 years. Thats more than most Child molesters/rapists, and people charged with assault get. Really shows where our priorities lie doesn't it????

Last edited:

Dngrsone

VIP Member
ElmoBro23 said:
Most people don't simply use a computer for leisure time. What if you had a job working as an IT professional for Microsoft for the last 30 years, and you suddenly disvoered you were laid-off because your job was outsourced to some cheap labor in India. So now your stuck, no means of support,, and your only skill is with computers. You're too old to compete with the new labor market of college grads and the geniuses in Asia. So now you're completely screwed over. You decide to open up your own online support agency but you own an outdated OS that can't support your needs, and you can't afford the overpriced Windows XP, so you download your pirated copy along with a pirated product key. (Let me wrap things up) Should you now be hauled off to prison (or in this case, punished by Microsoft) by just attmepting to make do with what you have and earn a living for your family?:(

If I need a car to get to and from work, I am not goig to steal one and justify the theft as it being the only way I could get food on the table. Purchasing a legitimate copy of the OS would be deductable as a business expense. You are trying to justify doing something you already know is wrong.

There are plenty of programs available for *nix platforms that do the same or nearly the same as every commercial software out there. Yes, there are times when substitutes don't cut it, but then there we are with the justifiable business expense.

Bobo

banned
ElmoBro23 said:
Sorry if the utilization of my first ammendment rights intimidate you, maybe America isn't the right place for you buddy-boy:rolleyes:
You can say whatever he wants, and he has the perfect right to totally ingnore you. What is wrong with that? I would do the same thing if you didn't make me laugh every time I read your posts.

You know why the govenrment cares, because the exchange of these pirated copies of Windows' OS's probably causes Microsoft to lose milions of dollars in revenue each year
But if it was cheaper, not as many people would pirate it.

This is definitely the case with our government. However, they ignore these "better things" and go after the piraters anyway.

So now you're completely screwed over. You decide to open up your own online support agency but you own an outdated OS that can't support your needs, and you can't afford the overpriced Windows XP, so you download your pirated copy along with a pirated product key. (Let me wrap things up) Should you now be hauled off to prison (or in this case, punished by Microsoft) by just attmepting to make do with what you have and earn a living for your family?:(
I don't know about being hauled off to prison, but yes, he/she should be fined/have computer confiscated, whatever. But surely you can't tell me that someone who has had a job for a while cannot afford $90.