Next Big Overclocker

andy_mitch92

My question is whats going to be the next q6600. Intel is coming out with a completely new processor soon and idk about AMD.

oregon

No one really knows, but I'd say Intel's Nehalem's will overclock at least as well as the current core 2 duo's.

1Kurgan1

If I am correct the Wolfsdales came out after the Q6600 and those clock up very easily. The New QX's seem to go clock crazy too (but those really crush the wallet).

I don't know anything about Intel or AMD's future CPU plans I usually just look at them as they release.

But I say for whats currently on the market, the 9850 Black Edition once the SB750 hits the market. I know some people have had issues hitting even 3.0 Ghz, but that just seems crazy to me. I was able to hit that on stock voltages. And my board is actually messed up, the new one arrives today and this one is going back, so hopefully I can get some better results.

I know that a lot of people are hitting 3.5Ghz on water and one guy hit 3.7Ghz, but thats all with the current SB600, with better voltage control on the SB750 those clocks will go up. The big question remains is, what will stable clocks be on air? Not everyone has the wallet to Watercool.

ducis

i wouldn't say that the Q6600 is by any means a one of a kind over clocker, or any quad core chip for that matter.
i say what you want is the next e4400

andy_mitch92

What I mean by next Q6600 is what is the next processor to sell as many units and overclock well. I know there are new processors out, I have the Q9450 but even it hasn't sold anywhere near as many as the Q6600.

lovely?

Nah, what you want is one of the e2xxx.

and is e4400 better than e4300?

yeah its better but neither are good, only the e4500 has an 11x multiplier, so setting the fsb to 1066 gives you 3ghz.

EDIT: but seriously, the e4 series cant overclock too well past 3.4ghz. they can mostly all get to 3ghz on stock cooling and voltage, but once past that you have to raise the voltage to something like 1.46V to get like 300 more mhz...

Last edited: