NFS Shift

ellanky

I've had Shift for awhile now but up to now I've had enough.
I've read in various other forums that Shift and Ati don't go well together. Its quite ridiculous. I've seen videos on youtube of people with lower performing hardware i.e. a 8800GS:confused: that get much better frames than I do with settings on their highest.

Anyone now if theres anyway to boost my frames? Some events are unplayable and its annoying as hell.:(:mad:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont seem to have any problems with this game and im running on 4890...runs great all maxed.

I wonder if its because of your cpu?..2gb of ram also :eek:

You running xp,vista or 7?

Last edited:

Stildawn

Im with Nevakonaza.... Mine runs maxed out with zero lag.... Havent tested the FPS but I never and I mean never notice it slowing down at all.

ellanky

yup.
and I have XP SP3 with latest physx and ati drivers

dammit ><
Am I the only one having problems now...

Last edited:

ellanky

What exactly is the probs you get with it?

Whats your average FPS. What settings do you use etc etc

I just get really low frames when there's alot of cars. Thats why I usually only play car battles, but still dont get more than about 30

Dont know average FPS but its mostly around 15-25 or so. When am placed at the back its just unplayable

Settings.. i let the game set it so.. some stuff on high and some on medium @ 1680x1050 no AA

Last edited:

WeatherMan

Is motion blur on?

I have a E5200 @ 3.6GHz Dual core
6GB ram
4850 Overclocked

It'll play the game at everything high - motion blur OFF

1680 x 1050 2AA/16AF

ellanky

Okay I just ran little benchmark
All settings except motion blur on high. I put motion blur OFF

1650x1050 2AA/4AF

Did two races: One with one opponent and the other with 11

So the average frames were 29 and 14 respectively

So what does that mean?

WeatherMan

I recon it's a CPU bottlenecking issue.

I'll know for sure tomorrow when my quad arrives.

But this game uses DiRT's / GRID's graphics engine and I know that my CPU bottlenecks my graphics card when playing that + most other games.

Tommorrow when my quad comes i'll check out see if my FPS are any better. But right now I get a bit better than you, with a weak CPU.

What speed is your 5200+ at?

Okay so at stock its 2.6GHz and on a 90nm die. I'm at 3.6GHz and 45nm and still have issues but not as bad as yours. I'll check some benchies and get back to you.

WeatherMan

Yeah I'm pretty much going to say its a CPU thing.

You're playing at a high resoltion, I know that your card can cope because mine does just fine.

I also have issues running the game which is why I'm Re-upgrading to a quad, I have noticed a FPS decrease in literally every game, meaning my E5200 is bottlenecking my card.

I'd say overclock it to say 3.2GHz and run another benchmark.

If you get more FPS you'll know its you CPU. I recon you'll either have to upgrade or decrease resolution.

To eliminate everything else.

You have no viruses? A clean computer, disks defragged video drivers up to scratch the game pacthed etc etc etc?

ellanky

Uses Grid's graphic engine? Can't be, I get smooth frames with all settings at high with 4xAA.

No virusus and everything up to date.
Havent defragged disk tho so i guess I'll try that

And cant reallly overclock, crappy mobo lol. but strangely its at 2.7 not the stock .6 heh. But yeh. be cool if you tell me when you get your quad core

This game is one of the most real looking racers I have ever played. I only average around 60fps @ 1920x1080. Here is some in game footage I recorded using Fraps:
[YT]TS5YaaH8KoM[/YT]

WeatherMan

It uses the grid engine but its not really well implimented.

Its the same old bad optimisation game.

GRID is really well optimised, I can max it easily with pretty much any dual and a 9600GT.

I'll get my quad today and post some bench tests.

I've heard other people with your CPU are also having problems. For some reason this game is pretty intensive with the CPU when theres a lot of cars around.

I notice it when I hit the supercar series. My frames drop from 20-30 to 12-18, the sole reason for my upgrade. When its here I'll show you the extra FPS i get due to the bottleneck being eliminated.

Any FPS more I'd want to gain will be by purchasing a new graphics card. Which i'll soon do.

Whats the best CPU your mobo's capable of handling?

To put it straight, not to be offensive or anything, I don't know how long ago you bought your CPU, but imo its just not up to the task. I'll try to prove my point tomorrow with a series of benchies with my quad and dual at set clocks for you.

Last edited:

WeatherMan

Actually I can do it tonight if you want.

I just had a thought.

I'll stick my CPU at stock, run a few races in the same car same series with 1 car battle one multi car race and post the FPS, then do the same with my CPU at 3.6GHz.

This should show me, and you, and anyone else viewing this thread that at 1680 x 1050 or higher, the main bottleneck for this game is the processor.

I'll get on to this now! Gives me something to do at 3.30am :cool: I can again do this with my quad when it arrives at stock and at a specific OC. We can all await the results :)

ellanky

Ha alright cool, thanks man.
The best CPU my mobo can handle is a Phenom but it cant exceed 95watts so thats pretty crappy. And I got my CPU about a year and half ago

Sorry for late response, was watching The Office.

And nice video Thermal. it is a pretty sweet lookin' racer.
and btw thats one heck of a rig.

Last edited:

WeatherMan

Okay I've just done a little test.

Stock Settings Overclocked GPU

3.6GHz Overclocked GPU

There's a small trend here but nothing too worthwhile, which is what I was hoping for, I'm expecting quite a bit more tomorrow with my quad.

Anyway, Your CPU compared to my E5200, 45 > 90nm you'd expect a 10% performance decrease in most applications. So you can take about 2/3 FPS off of each of my stock bench runs. Threres nowhere on the internet that I can get an apples for apples comparison between our CPU's so this will have to do for now.

How does this compare to how your setup is running the game?

The thing I will repeat is that when I backed away from my Q6600 and stooped down to my Dual I lost a lot of performance because the raw processing power just wasn't there. Now when I get my Q6700 and OC it today I'll hope to post up some benchies showing off some better FPS because I should have had hopefully eliminated my CPU bottleneck.

If you want to compare results here is what I did.

Start benching as soon as the black loading screen dissapears. Record only MAXMINAVG frames with FRAPS.

Use the tier 2 BMW V AUDI car battle. And the Spar GP race in Mixed event.

I'll post back some results later tonight when my quad arrives :)

If I get a BIG boost, you know what to do , seing as we have the same card ;)