No display after windows logo

PurpleSnow

I had some problems for about a day that the pc does not want to come out of screen sleep mode. since last night if I click the mouse the monitors dont come out of sleep. and if i press space once or twice the machine restarts.

I dont want to reload windows and would like to fix the problem before doing that. the machine was running perfect for almost a year on the same os only changes I did was about week ago I installed GTA 5 all was working fine till this morning.

but since this morning it only boots till it shows the windows 7 logo and then it says no display. windows still boots i can hear the start-up sound and there is a error ping as well. I think this is MSI afterburner. My G19 shows its apps as well after a while.

Ive tried o connect into the machine with team-viewer but i dont get display that way either.

I ve done system restore to a few days ago and nothing
Ive uninstalled display driver and re-installed new one and nothing

Does anyone have any ideas.

beers

Staff member
I'd swap out GPUs to test. I've seen a few cards fail where they can use the generic compatibility Windows driver but show no display once the manufacturer's one is installed. You might be able to spam F8 at boot and choose 'safe mode with networking' to verify.

Edit: I think I might have derped and said F7. I believe the menu is accessible by using F8, instead, but you probably already knew that :p

Last edited:

PurpleSnow

I'd swap out GPUs to test. I've seen a few cards fail where they can use the generic compatibility Windows driver but show no display once the manufacturer's one is installed. You might be able to spam F8 at boot and choose 'safe mode with networking' to verify.

Edit: I think I might have derped and said F7. I believe the menu is accessible by using F8, instead, but you probably already knew that :p

yes in safe mode it works fine. tried uninstalling the drivers and all traces and still same problem in normal mode.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then it's either the screen resolution set is too high for the monitor or possible refresh rate is wrong. But I bet if you try a different video card it will work fine. If you access safe mode options there is one about using a lower screen resolution. Try that and see what happens.

beers

Staff member
You could also use the iGPU for testing, but it really sounds like the card has failed.

What did you do for removing all drivers? Did you uninstall the device in Device Manager? There shouldn't be a difference between safe mode and the normal desktop environment on first boot after changes since they'd utilize the same compatibility driver.

PurpleSnow

I placed the card in another machine same windows same drivers and it works even benched it and i had a different car in the main PC as well and it works fine so I'm at a loss at the moment. I think there something wrong with my windows and I really don't want to reload.

PurpleSnow

I got it right but only after reinstalling windows which i obviously despise doing but none the less all is well again. still wish i could have fixed it before going through the whole process. thanx for all the replies.

I'm just glad it wasn't gpu or psu. they are old but they still do the job.