No display on boot up

deveritt

Having some problems with my PC as of last night. Just looking for any general suggestions here. Basically, I was playing Starcraft 2 last night and when I exit the program my screen froze. So I reset my computer manually and nothing popped up.

No picture, no lights on my peripherals, but all the fans are going and it sounds like my hard drives are as well. I don't have spare parts to swap in and test out and I would really rather not have to go out and spend $$ to buy cheap stuff to use. If I do end up having to do that, what's a ballpark number I'd have to look at spending to try and get this thing fixed?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Might be cheaper for you to take it in and have it diagnosed for like 40 bucks or so. Then you would know for sure what you had to buy.

deveritt

Thanks for the input. I figured I would probably have to go this route. Do shops usually have a guarentee that they tell you the right part? Like what if they tell me my hard drive is done, but it was really my mobo?? (hypothetical)

mtb211

I had the same exact problem, my PSU was shot.. I had a gamexstream and I bet thats the same problem you have

mtb211

a coworker had a PSU tester tool, and my half my volts out were shot.. it happened out of no where

deveritt

a coworker had a PSU tester tool, and my half my volts out were shot.. it happened out of no where

Hmm interesting. I assumed since the fans and HDDs still boot up that the PSU was fine. Shows how much I know :confused:

I think I may just take it in this weekend and pay $40 to be sure because I don't have a PSu tester or anything else necessary for that matter.

mtb211

power supply testers are 14 but yeah if you have a local computer shot then give that a try... I have nothing like that around me. WHat happened with me was my cpu fan, and led fans all went on but my keyboard and mouse flickered or didnt go on.... I replaced the motherboard before I realized it was the PSU

So now I have an I5 processor instead of my C2D

deveritt

power supply testers are 14 but yeah if you have a local computer shot then give that a try... I have nothing like that around me. WHat happened with me was my cpu fan, and led fans all went on but my keyboard and mouse flickered or didnt go on.... I replaced the motherboard before I realized it was the PSU

So now I have an I5 processor instead of my C2D

Yeah this is why I'd rather have the store take a look at it. I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to diagnostics, but once I know what it is I can just replace it myself.