noob seeking advice

funky_fresh

hey,

i'm new to this forum and would like some of your expert advice on securing a laptop i'm about to purchase. i currently own a laptop that has been overrun by viruses etc after my norton expired. i'm about to purchase a samsung n130 netbook and would like to run it entirely on freeware.

i have been surfing the net and trying to find adequate software for this purpose. however, as i say i'm a complete noob at this sort of stuff and would be greatful of any guidance you can give.

i was thinking of using the following, my main questions are:
1. would all these work at the same time, and
2. do i actually require them all.

# spyware doctor with anti-virus
# hazard shield anti-malware
# sanity check rootkit and malware detector
# mcafee stinger
# norton power eraser
# bit defender online scanner
# sygate personal firewall
# ghostwall firewall
# threat fire zero day malware
# spyware terminator
# spy shelter anti-keylogging tool
# silentnight inspector
# system protect
# samurai intrusion prevention system
# script trap
# no script
# pretty good security
# bufferzone threat virtualization
# virtual protect anti-spyware
# mojopac desktop virtualiser
# as sweep
# star opus 1
# cookie monster
# spamfighter
# apache spam assassin
# wireshack network protocol analyser
# assassin g13 hostile process remover
# regrun reanimator
# file assassin
# reg assassin
# genie soft
# erunt emergency recovery tool
# omega anti-malware
# predator usb system protector
# roboform

as i say i am a complete noob and have not got a full idea of internet and computer security so would appreciate any feedback on this list and whether or not i am going completely overboard with trying to secure my new netbook. if i am which security features are a must have.

thanks for any help

pym

I would suggest:

1 firewall
1 antivirus
2 antispyware/malware

For the rest--antikeylogging, spam fighter, etc.--I'm not sure. So far as security apps are concerned, I really just use the above cocktail of appliances.

If you're interested in good security, though, you might try a search like this one: http://www.bing.com/search?q=hardening+security&form=QBRE&qs=n&sk=&sc=8-11

People who work security for a living seem to be unanimous that the most important aspects of security are patching and configuration. For example, are the OS and apps updated? Have you turned off services and closed ports that you don't need?

If you install very many security apps, you may have more trouble than they're worth. Sometimes AV programs will detect one another as viruses and generally trample on one another.