Normal P4 Temperature?

sendhelp

My friend has a Intel P4 630 his running temperature is 75C.
Is that even normal? My amd 3000+ idles at 30-35C and 40-45C under load.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
P4's run warm but i think thats getting a little hot, you can by some new thermal paste like "Arctic silver 5" or buy a new heatsink for it, if nothing else a $5-10 HSF...

ProgMtl

75C is way too hot!! My P4 (3.0) runs at a max of 49C when it's under a very heavy load.

Like ThatGuy16 said....get a new heatsink and some AC5....he might also want to check out his case fans and how well the air flows through it.

Man, with that temp (if it's accurate) I couldn't stand to be in the same room as my computer.

Geoff

VIP Member
75C is way too hot, I cant imagine what it would be under load.

Make sure his CPU fan is working, that the heatsink isnt filled with dust, and that there is thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU.

heyman421

banned
my p4 3.6 reaches as high as 95 degrees under load, in an antec p180 case, with all fans at 100%.

probably the reason they stopped making the 3.6 shortly after it's release

Geoff

VIP Member
my p4 3.6 reaches as high as 95 degrees under load, in an antec p180 case, with all fans at 100%.

probably the reason they stopped making the 3.6 shortly after it's release
You cant mean 95C... If it got anywhere near that hot then the CPU would have shut down. I believe the thermal throttling starts anywhere from 70-80C.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It has to be 95F P4 throttling is 80 degrees iirc and I think it out right cuts the the power at 85.

heyman421

banned
It doesn't restart until it hits 97-98.

It starts throtlling itself around 85, but it will still climb another 10 degrees or so before coming back down.

I run it 100% 24 hours a day compiling binaries. If i would've known how hot the p4 ran when i bought it, i would've gotten an amd64 instead.

I'm going to get a quad in the near future, but i'm waiting to see what AMD releases. (or atleast wait until ALL available quads are g0)