Norton 360 and system performance

bryan123

i installed norton 360 on my new netbook that has 1 gb ram. my netbook is about a week ago. after i installed norton 360 my system is slow like by 5%. is norton 360 too much on my netbook. should i go with free anti virus program or a different paid? if so what do you recommend so my system is fast again?

wildbill

Norton hogs system resources like crazy. If your running Windows, go with Microsoft Security Essentials. Otherwise, Avast does a good job.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would need 2-3 gb of memory to run your system efficiently with norton 360 installed. But as said, your better off uninstalling it and going with a free program such as AVG, Avira or Avast.

Bigjake52

Advast free 5.0 is the best thing I found, It does alot for a small chunck of system, My moms system is 1.24gh win 7 512gb of ram and it runs like xp, I find lol

fastdude

I speak as a netbook user, get Avast, doesn't slow down my system
(1GB DDR2@533Mhz, Atom [email protected])
at all, uses hardly any system resources and does a decent job of detecting any malicious threats and the like.
As Johnb said, heavyweight-paid-for AV's will need relatively alot of system RAM to be efficient. :good:

ScOuT

VIP Member
Norton 360 has an option to go "Sleep Mode" which suts down almost everything just the few things that need to run. You can set the time and duration you want it to shut down all the extra stuff.

Remeniz

+1 to those recommending Avast! It's brilliant AV software.

I consider the likes of Norton, McAfee and the likes to be AV software for those that have absolutely no idea of computers and just 'want' protection. I remember being 'persuaded' to try Norton over a free AV software I was using four years ago and I couldn't believe how much resource it needed to do the same task/s as AVG or Avast!. I ditched it after 2 days. And went back to Avast!

I know a few that don't have AV software at all but the only navigate to a handful of sites I guess.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I've always used Avast great virus protection, especially when coupled with Spybot

Shut up. Go away. You stole my job.

j/k I love you Austin :)

I agree. Avast is very good. If you want to pay though, go with aSquared Anti-Malware. It was voted the #1 antivirus.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I've always used Avast great virus protection, especially when coupled with Spybot

Spybot is old and outdated and not recommended anymore. Malwarebytes and or Superantispyware are much better programs to use now.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure about 360 as a whole, but I've read that Symantec has significantly reduced the amount of system resources used by Norton, namely their 2010 AV products. Is there any truth to that? I personally haven't used Norton since 2005. It was seriously a POS.

jevery

As far as impact on resources I think it's comparable to anything currently available and more effective than the free AVs at stopping the bad stuff.