Not enough disk space for Windows 10 upgrade

ssal

On my Asus X250TA there is only 2 gb ram and 32 gb of the EMCC drive. The EMCC was left with about 20 gb after the system. I had a hell of a time upgrading from Windows 8 to 10, but was done finally. With some basic programs (very few), there is only about 900 mb left. I have a 32 gb SD for storage.

Now when I tried upgrading the Windows 10 as suggested by Windows, it told me that I don't have enough disk space and said 16 gb is required. There is no way I have 16 gb even if I delete all the programs I had installed (the most is 4-5 gb).

Is there any work around? Anything I can move to the SD and bring it back later?

ssal

I have already upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 6-8 months ago.

I am trying to update to a newer version of Windows 10 from the original Windows 10. Where do I download the new Windows 10?

When I ran the update, it said I don't have enough disk space. It only gave me option to clean up the disk, but not an option to use external devices.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I am trying to update to a newer version of Windows 10 from the original Windows 10. Where do I download the new Windows 10?

Any newer versions of 10 will automatically install. The only thing you have to physically install would be if you are jumping to professional or enterprise versions of 10.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you provide a screenshot? Not sure what you are talking about. If you already have windows 10 then it will install all updates automatically.

Okedokey

Use the WIndows Disk Clean Up application and select your windows drive (usually C:). Then select clean up system files and check all boxes and run it. This will remove old versions of windows and give you space for the install.

ssal

OK, here it goes.

Here is the screen to tell me I have an upgrade that's needed:

view

And here's the one that said I don't have enough disk space:
view

After clearing "ALL" folders, I still get the same message of not enough space.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No images, click on upload a file next to the post reply button to include the image in the post.

ssal

And this is an image of the disk manager, indicating that there is a hefty 8 gb of space in Recovery. How can I free up that 8 gb?
Untitled-2.jpg Untitled-2.jpg

ssal

After some google searches, I was able to delete the recovery partition and expanded the system partition to take up the entire drive, which gives me about 9gb free.

But when I tried running the update, it still said I need 16 gb. No go!

But at lease I have 8 gb more to play with now.

BTW, I have create the external USB recovery, and also an image file before I did all that dangerous partition thing.

ssal

Since the free upgrade to windows 10 will expire soon, the next time it happens, I would be out of option anyway. So, if my current version is becoming old, by going thru fresh install is nothing but a posponding the inevitable a little. And since the little machine is working well now, and I am using this for very light duty, I think I am just going to forego the upgrade.

At least, this exercise gave me 8gb of disk space that was not available.

Okedokey

Not a good option. WIndows 10 has been activated already presumably, so any future fresh install will work fine, regardless of the free expiry date. Just reinstall.