Not sure whats going on

camaro1185

I built my first computer a few years back. a few months ago, i got the "blue screen." couldn't get onto windows, so i pulled each one of my 4 hds and got all the info off of them.

My problem now is that it wont install windows,

it goes through the initial process of the windows set up, gets to the screen where it says "starting window" (not after windows has been installed, the screen right before it shows the installation progress bar) then it give me another blue screen. I took a picture of it.

I though it may be with the bios, so i replaced the battery on the MB.

Thought maybe it was a bad HD, so i went out and bought a brand new HD.

In the boot section of the bios, everything shows up, it recognizes my CPU, hd, memory, graphics card etc....

I am at a loss, i have no idea what to check.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Might help if we knew what the blue screen said... Also what motherboard are you using? First thing I would check is to check your memory by running memtest. You download it and burn the image to a cd and boot to the cd and it test the memory for errors. You might have bad hardware as well. But first tell us what the blue screen said.

camaro1185

The motherboard is: Asus p593 Deluxe

The error says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shot down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it s properly configured and terminated.

etc.....

camaro1185

I ran the "memtest" and it said "error loading OS_"

I then pulled both the memory sticks (i have 2 1GB ddr2 sticks) and put one in at a time thinking that maybe one stick had been fried.

Would both sticks go at once?

Also can it be the memory slots on the MOBO?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
The error says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shot down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it s properly configured and terminated.

etc.....

Generic BSOD text. The {xxxxx000} stuff is what you need.

Anyway, are all four HDDs connected when trying to install? If so, try removing all but the one you want the OS on and have that set to Primary (via IDE cable or SATA port), then see how it goes.

camaro1185

yep i tried it with 3 removed, it was a sata drive, so i didnt think i needed to specify master.

ill also get the message.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Hmmm...that's odd.

As far as memory goes, it's possible, though unlikely. Did you have any power surges or install anything/work on the system before this happened? If it were a MoBo slot issue, you'd probably have issues with other ports too, not just the RAM.

camaro1185

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007b (0xF7C7A524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Then put in another windows cd, this one is for 64bit and got this error

*** STOP: 0x0000007b (0xFffffadfe4a323c0, 0xffffffffc0000034, 0x000000000000000, 0x0000000000000)

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The motherboard is: Asus p593 Deluxe

You mean P5E3 deluxe? This one?

http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=FcwW0RXruL9KFv3Z

If you have a separate PCI card that runs those hard drives then most likely you need the driver loaded at the beginning of the install so the installation can actually see the drives. If it was me I would invest in SATA hard drives and remove the controller card. It would be alot easier to work with.

camaro1185

Thanks for the replys.
I figured it out. I basically ran the computer with the least possible to run it, 1 SATA hd, 1 disk drive and memory. Im installing windows now.

Still not sure what was the problem, but its working.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Cool - it's gotta be RAID drivers - Every search with that string came up with replies that dealt with RAID. I'd 2nd the SATA suggestion:) Glad you're up and running though.