Nvidia or ATI

wat do u prefer Nvidia or ATI

• Nvidia

Votes: 908 68.3%
  • ATI

Votes: 421 31.7%

• Total voters

pdc76

i chose ati, but i haven't had an nvidia card since my old geforce4. that was several cards ago. i may try nvidia next upgrade though.

i read an article in maximum pc magazine about nvidia getting caught "cooking it's drivers to reduce detail and even prevent parts of the benchmark from being rendered". nvidia called the tweaks "optimizations", but when they were removed, the card did horribly. they were referring to the geforce fx 5800. :eek:

since reading that, in's hard for me to trust them.

i'm going to start a thread about this, for those of you out there that already took this pool and probably won't return to this thread.

source: maximumpc, october 2006, volume 11, number 10, page 53

Archangel

VIP Member
"cooking it's drivers to reduce detail and even prevent parts of the benchmark from being rendered". nvidia called the tweaks "optimizations", but when they were removed, the card did horribly. they were referring to the geforce fx 5800. :eek:

since reading that, in's hard for me to trust them.

I don't see why not trust them... i mean, if you cant see the difference in-game, why would i care about it? ;)

pdc76

it's not about the lies, it's the principal of the matter. i have a business myself, and if i ever came across a supplier like that, i'd just stop using them. you must have nvidia.

ceewi1

VIP Member
I don't see why not trust them... i mean, if you cant see the difference in-game, why would i care about it? ;)
The program in question was 3DMark, and these 'optimizations' caused the card to receive inflated scores. It's hardly new news, though, and both ATI and nVidia have been caught doing this in the past.

Archangel

VIP Member
The program in question was 3DMark, and these 'optimizations' caused the card to receive inflated scores. It's hardly new news, though, and both ATI and nVidia have been caught doing this in the past.

True... but i really wonder.. who would ever buy a grafic's card only on 3dMark scores? I look on game fps's etc more than on 3dMark.
i mean... sure,.. a good score there does look nice ofc... but its no reason to buy a card,.. because you buy a card to run games, not tu run 3dMark. ( and well... if you do... you really need a hobby.. or a girlfriend :D )

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
it's not about the lies, it's the principal of the matter. i have a business myself, and if i ever came across a supplier like that, i'd just stop using them. you must have nvidia.

Thinking back I'm pretty sure Nvidia at one point fixed their drivers to score better with a certain benchmark program. At this point in the game just about everyone has lied about something ;). Nvidia and ATi are both great. The only smart option is to buy "the best bang for the buck". Fanboyism leads to expensive and stupid purchases at times.

Edit:

I would choose nVidia over ATI any day. They have better cards. thats all I can say.

This is the sort of fanboyism I was talking about. It simply is not true... Both company's have spent time in the lead, meaning that they both compete very well with each other. One year I'll buy ATi and next time maybe Nvidia.. I like to buy smart ;) anything else would be dumb... right?

Last edited:

HaGa11aZ

ya, i remember when I bought a brand new Radeon 9600XT on eBay for $160... an exceptionally good price at the time... and now I'm about to buy a GeForce 7900GT for $200. I've weighed out all the comparisons between cards in my price range, and the 7900GT has the best performance/value ratio right now. I'm not a fanatic either.

tweaker

VIP Member
Gee..

Isn't it funny how the brand you own suddenly equals the 'best' out there? When in fact the difference at this level is minimal at most. :rolleyes:

Try to think outside the box for a moment...

Archangel

VIP Member
Try to think outside the box for a moment...

Nvidia all the way! why? because i own some of their cards..
dsc20010528214614.jpg

:D but ofc, atm its nvidia indeed, with the new 8800.. i dont think there is much for ati to do atm :) anyhow, Ati will come up with something again soon enough etc etc, we all know that, don't we? :eek:

tweaker

VIP Member
Heh how cute. :)

Yes Archangel nVidia definitely has the performance edge atm with their new 8 series cards, theres no doubt about that and trust me I wouldn't mind having one. I will however wait and see what the R600 can bring to the table a little later before investing as the wait isn't that long, and besides the outed games using a DX10 environment is, hmm somewhat limited. And my X1900XTX isn't struggeling that much just yet, well besides with Oblivion which tend to choke down pretty much any card. =)

My point was merely that I doubt the above couple of boys can back up their claims with valid reasons as to why a brand like XFX would be better than say the MSI or vice versa. That to me smells like nothing other than immature fanboyism towards brands they just happen to own. ;)

Besides, the title of this thread is Nvidia or ATI. :)

Last edited:

v1900130

as my experience, Nvidia is more stable, it can runs smoothly and it is stable. ATI, it works not so stable, i feel like it is blasting or producing all its function to produce a nice graphics.