OC expert needed here

Noir

Ok i need to clarified if what i am doing is right.
Right now i tried to oc my cpu to fsb 400 and i did it, got stable for 6 hour orthos run (stress cpu with gromacs core).
And this is the voltage setting:
Vcore: 1.32v (stock)
NB: 1.50v (1.48v vdroop i guess)
Cpu Vtt: 1.20v (stock)

Now i am curious because i why only the nb voltage works, without adding voltage to the Vcore? And is it ok to add that large amount of voltage to the nb?
I leave the ram because i already know whats it capable of.
See my sig, thats the rig im oc'ing right now.

WhiteFireDragon

since the e6320 has a relatively low multiplier, you have to OC by changing the fsb. a total of 2.8ghz for the cpu is not that hard to achieve for the cpu, so not much extra vcore is needed. however, since the NB is responsible for the fsb, going from 266 to 400 is a pretty big jump, so the NB needs the boost. if your cpu had the option for the multiplier to go higher, for example 10x, then you could still get 2.8ghz using a fsb of 280. both 7x400 and 10x280 gives the same frequency, but with a higher multiplier, it's easier on you NB. so to sum it up, it's not that hard for your cpu to get to 2.8ghz (therefore no extra vcore needed), but harder for you NB to reach high fsb (so needs an increase in voltage on your NB)

Noir

Ok i got that, and i might to try to get 3.0Ghz next time.
Some question, since in the bios theres no SB voltage and theres only pci-ex freq (i keep it locked) and LDT, whats is this ldt thing? Does it effect the oc process?
And i dont find any pci freq either so i suppose it dont change at all (i hope so).

Noir

Hey even orthos say it stabel and windows doesnt even crash, but why everytime i play games, i mean all games that i have crysis, dirt, and cod4 hang up in the middle of the game??? And even in crysis the control seems inaccurate (example: i only press the W button once, but it walk about 3 steps in slowmotion)
Is it because my oc isnt stabel? Running fsb:ram 1:1, 400:400 (1600:800).

Noir

I got the cpu stabel now (and crysis behaving normal, but again another problem arise now orthos indicate that theres a problem in memory (use blend test).
The fact that i only use stock speed, voltage, and timings.
Whew oc'ing quite stressful now, i dont even know whats wrong, anyone knows?
Oh btw i tried to play games at least 30 minute and it works ok, could it be just a false alarm?

lovely?

what do you mean by 'stock voltage' do you mean you never changed the voltage from its stock settings? if so then you should change the voltage to 2.1 V and if that is not stable then to to 2.2 V

Noir

Yeah, everything about the ram is at stock, 2.1v, 4.4.4.12, 800mhz.
Is it possible that the ram defect?
Later i'll try to test it whth memtest86.

lovely?

and your sure that your ram is in fact running at 800mhz and that your computer hasnt overclocked it?

if not then i suggest upping the voltage one more notch, it might help and it wont hurt anything.

Noir

Yeah i am sure about it, everything sets to manual accept for the advance memory timing, i dont want to screw with that.
Why the voltage? Is it possible that lack of voltage make the ram vault when testing it with orthos?

Noir

What a waste, my oc at fsb 400 never stable tried everything from voltage to ram tweaking and nothing happen.
I guest its the limit of my mb, sigh.
Now try to lowering the fsb to 375 and increasing the ram to 900mhz, quite stable until now and its still running, i hope its work now.
Btw can i test the cpu and ram separately? Like running orthos for cpu gromac test and memtest86 for the ram? Of course i will do it in different time, that way i can identified which one is wrong.
If i run orthos in my last 2 run, it always give error either in core 1 or core 2 and it doesnt tell why it crash which is the cpu or the ram.