odd my x4 955 isnt spost to be a black edition

reddevil6

well i have a x4 955 NON Black edition the box was purple and cpu-z doesnt say its a Black edition. well today i have been trying to undervolt it got it at 1.25v 2hours stable ATM but anyway gone off topic i had a look at the multy settings and i noticed it could go up to 35 so i increased it to 17x and sure enough it booted and cpu-z reported 17x200 (3400MHz) i just found this odd since it shouldnt be a BE the multy should be locked.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeah, they made a locked 955. Dont know how you ended up with a unlocked one. Consider yourself lucky.

Maybe all 955 are unlocked and its a bios tag that identify it as a locked or unlocked. If a board only has a bios update for the unlocked ones, bang you can magically change the multi.

Hell, maybe all AMD are unlocked and its just a bios tag that identifies it as being locked or unlocked and its nothing but the bios that doesnt let you change the multi.

reddevil6

Yea it just triped me out had the comp for about 9 months and didnt know, nothing to say its a BE everything points to locked multy but its not i just Consider myself lucky, i remember getting the non BE because it was $20 cheaper than the BE, and i wasnt planing on overclocking as its just a media comp.