Office 2010 Problems: "Starting Microsoft Office Click-to-Run" Unattractive DOCX icon

andrewanimation

I recently installed the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta, but this morning its intro screen stays stuck at "Starting Microsoft Office Click-to-Run." Googling it resulted in only two threads, neither of them having the answer.

I'm back to using Office 2007, by simply setting my Word and Excel documents to open by Office 2007 by default, but now my Word and Excel icons have become much less pretty, such as my Word icons becoming a very plain "DOCX" icon instead of the normal "blue W" icon. I checked, and the file types are still regular Word documents. Is there a way to get the pretty icons back?

andrewanimation

Win7

EDIT: I found the answer somewhere else:

It seems that the file association has been corrupted, I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to reset it.
Change the file association
================
1. Click the Start Button and click Default Programs.
2. Click "Associate a file type or protocol with program."
3. Click the XXX file extension and verify whether it is correctly set to open with the program which you want to use.
4. If the configuration is not set correctly, please highlight this XXX file extension and click the Change program button.
5. Check whether the program is listed in the Recommended Program or Other Programs. If so, please choose the program and click OK.
6. If not, please click the Browse button to locate the correct program.
7. Click OK.
*The correct programs were ALREADY set for each file type. However, simply re-affirming this seems to have "woken up" the system into using the correct icons. The correct icons were noticeable immediately after doing this.

Last edited: