2m7gith.jpg

24zgm0j.jpg

29esth2.jpg

2prfgh0.jpg

t6f09x.jpg

Ben

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1117496 said:
Is it just me, or does the reflection of the board show an incredible amount of noise? Nice photo overall though.

I don't see an incredible amount of noise much less any at all.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1117496 said:
Is it just me, or does the reflection of the board show an incredible amount of noise? Nice photo overall though.

Actually the photo its self doesn't have that much noise.
However the process I used to edit it used a uncanny amount of sharpening and all other effects that give the appearance of more noise, as well as adding some.
In other words, the photo doesn't have that much noise, but it gives off the appearance as if it does lol.

Ben

VIP Member
Actually the photo its self doesn't have that much noise.
However the process I used to edit it used a uncanny amount of sharpening and all other effects that give the appearance of more noise, as well as adding some.
In other words, the photo doesn't have that much noise, but it gives off the appearance as if it does lol.

Mm...this is random..but with me getting a new camera before the beginning of December I decided to take a look at pentax like you suggested with others. I am thinking the k20d (not retail though...I would most likely get it off of ebay or amazon)

What are your thoughts? I've been having looking for a while and nothing within price range really made me say "YES I need that" other than the jittery feeling I got with the K20 :p Before I had the Canon 350D so this would be larger step up.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Mm...this is random..but with me getting a new camera before the beginning of December I decided to take a look at pentax like you suggested with others. I am thinking the k20d (not retail though...I would most likely get it off of ebay or amazon)

What are your thoughts? I've been having looking for a while and nothing within price range really made me say "YES I need that" other than the jittery feeling I got with the K20 :p Before I had the Canon 350D so this would be larger step up.

Lets see here.
Well the reasons why you wouldn't want to get a K20D are:
- If you need really good flash performance
- If you need really good AF in low light
- If you need faster then 3 FPS
- If you need really good AFC performance
- Don't buy it for the live view, it's very primitive on the K20D

Now some pros:
- Very nice noise control up into higher iso values
- Very solid build, with some of the best ergonomics around
- Built in shake reduction. So every lens ever made for Pentax is then stabilized (good for 3-4 stops)
- Complete backwards compatibility, so every lens ever made will work (some may need an adapter)
- Very nice viewfinder
- Body has full weather sealing
- Extremely good price to performance ratio

Those are some off the top of my head.
Obviously there are some real cons, yet there are some real pros.

Tell me how you view that info and I'll get back to you with some more info.

Hope that helps
Bob

Ben

VIP Member
Lets see here.
Well the reasons why you wouldn't want to get a K20D are:
- If you need really good flash performance
- If you need really good AF in low light
- If you need faster then 3 FPS
- If you need really good AFC performance
- Don't buy it for the live view, it's very primitive on the K20D

- Wouldn't an external flash work better anyways? (As in just buying a detachable)
- I suppose it depends on how low of a light we are talking.
- While a camera taking more FPS would be nice, It's not something I need.
- Auto Focus Control?
- Don't need live view seeing as I lived without it for so long. Might be a nice thing to have every once in a while but I doubt I'd be using it much.

Now some pros:
- Very nice noise control up into higher iso values
- Very solid build, with some of the best ergonomics around
- Built in shake reduction. So every lens ever made for Pentax is then stabilized (good for 3-4 stops)
- Complete backwards compatibility, so every lens ever made will work (some may need an adapter)
- Very nice viewfinder
- Body has full weather sealing
- Extremely good price to performance ratio

Well....pros are pros, I like them all! :p

Question...major differences between the K20 and the K10 you have? Anything they took out or majorly improved on with the K20 or something you like about the K10 you don't about the K20?

vroom_skies

VIP Member
- Wouldn't an external flash work better anyways? (As in just buying a detachable)
- I suppose it depends on how low of a light we are talking.
- While a camera taking more FPS would be nice, It's not something I need.
- Auto Focus Control?
- Don't need live view seeing as I lived without it for so long. Might be a nice thing to have every once in a while but I doubt I'd be using it much.

Well....pros are pros, I like them all! :p

Question...major differences between the K20 and the K10 you have? Anything they took out or majorly improved on with the K20 or something you like about the K10 you don't about the K20?

Howdy,
- I was actually referring to the external flash. The on camera flash works quite well actually lol. It's not that the external flash is bad, it is just lagging behind in regards to Canon and Nikon. It's by all means adequate, but if you would be shooting weddings or something where flashes are really important and often used, I would steer clear of Pentax.

- I'm talking pretty low light here. Pentax's AF system is a contrast based AF, so if your trying to focus on a blank wall, you'll have no chance. If there is something with contrast you should focus there and recompose, it will most likely take awhile longer then Canon & Nikon for sure, but if your in no rush, then there isn't too much of an issue. I however like to manual focus in those kinds of conditions anyways. Also the focusing speed/ accuracy depends on what lens is mounted as well.

- Well the K20D has some 20 FPS deal at a really cropped resolution. I don't know much about it, but it does look fun, can't really say how handy it is though.

- AFC stands for Auto Focus Continuous. This is pretty darn bad on the K10D lol, I'm pretty sure it's not that much better on the K20D, but I'm not sure. You'll use it when something is in motion, like someone running or a car moving etc.

There really isn't any reason why you would get the K10D over the K20D, unless you can get it for a steal, but you can get the K20D body for $750, which is an extremely good deal. That way you can get right into using good glass. Whats funny is that Pentax has the best 18-55 kits lens out of all brands anyways, so the kit lens can hold it's own quite well.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PNK20D&id=PNK20D&l=PRICEGRABB
That is actually where I bought my K10D from, good company.

Just some quick facts:
- The K20D has a 14.6MP vs 10.2MP sensor on the K10D. Also they switched from CCD to CMOS.
- K20D has much better noise control. Plus goes up to 3200 & even 6400. The K10D stopped at 1600, which I never really understood.
- K20D has a boat load more customization, keep in mind the K10D is no slacker in that department.
- K20D improved the shake reduction
- K20D's viewfinder is a little bit improved. Not positive, but pretty sure.

I'm sure more will come to mind later.
Hope that helps
Bob

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
It snowed today! First of the year. These were all taken inside. I'll be going out shortly to take some more, I'll post them when I get back

P1010110.jpg

P1010114.jpg

P1010116.jpg

Oh, and had to throw this one in there cause I love it :D

P1010098.jpg

Bartmasta

banned
nice photos guys, i really liked the far cry ones :p

here's some of my photos

i think they aren't really good but ill let you guys decide

tell me what you think

DSC00448.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

DSC02234.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
nice photos guys, i really liked the far cry ones :p

here's some of my photos

i think they aren't really good but ill let you guys decide

tell me what you think

DSC00307.jpg

DSC00281.jpg
DSC00253.jpg

I really like the first and last one, good job! BTW, is that you in the second photo?