oh mr. core # 2, you're lazy and a slacker!

vonfeldt7

Hi, I was on this thread and someone mentioned pc wizard, well I tried it and I'm pretty impressed.

Well my question is why core two seems to never do as much work as core 1. (core 1 temp is 37C and core 2 is 26C idle)

Anyways, I'm sure its normal or w/e, I'm just curious.

of course, it is normal, most programs are made for single core. So, they are gonna jump at the Core 1, as if they think the processor is single core. Therefore making the core 1 do more work and heat up

Martingale00

That's normal. The AMD dual core optimizer helps balance some of the stress to core #2

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

I know what you're talking about about, my core #1 used to be pegged at close to 100% and #2 would barely be processing anything. With the dual core optimizer it helps balance it out a bit. It wont split the load 50/50...more like 80/20 but it helps a bit. I picked up 250 points on 3DMark06 after installing it.

As per AMD's website...

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

Last edited: