Older Memory (PC133) 512MB

theboy

Hi all,

I have a family member that has an old HP Pavilion (forgot the model #). Anyways the system takes PC133 SDRam. Currently the PC has 2-256MB installed with a max capacity of 1.5GB on the board. I am thinking of buying this:
Link-Newegg

I am wondering of this RAM will work. I understand there might be timing issues with the currently installed ram.

Also the price looks very good and It's hard to find!:)

Any suggestions???:confused:

Dropkickmurphys

It looks like it might work.

I think you are better off finding out the model of the computer first, cause then you can find the motherboard model and from there you can find out exactly what sort of RAM it can support (and if it can support anything faster/better).

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Should it work? Yes. Will it work? Who knows... Some computers are very picky about their memory.

We had one at work a few days ago that we installed 1GB DDR plus its original 512MB stick. Memtest threw no errors. We returned the computer only to get it back from a frustrated customer. The RAM was fine but the computer didn't like it and wouldn't boot to Windows. Tried a different brand and it worked great.

theboy

Should it work? Yes. Will it work? Who knows... Some computers are very picky about their memory.

We had one at work a few days ago that we installed 1GB DDR plus its original 512MB stick. Memtest threw no errors. We returned the computer only to get it back from a frustrated customer. The RAM was fine but the computer didn't like it and wouldn't boot to Windows. Tried a different brand and it worked great.

Wintec looks like a trusted brand, never have used them before, plus many good reviews.

Have any of you had return issues with Newegg? I suppose I can read their return policy, but if a certain brand doesn't work will they replace at no charge?:confused:

theboy

Okay, well I have the model number of the computer.

HP Pavilion 7966

Thanks guys, I just want to get the right RAM the first time without having to return anything. So far, newegg looks like the place to purchase.:)