Olympus Pen kit vs. entry level DSLR kit

dug987654

I've been thinking about getting a DSLR for a little while now, and then I noticed Jessops have the Olympus Pen E-PL3 twin lens kit for what I think is a really good price (£370).

Here is a link to the camera: http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/82296/show.html.

How do you guys think this kit compares to a entry level DSLR kit like a D3100 or a 1100D?

The reviews for the Pen are pretty good, and it seems pretty comparable to the DSLRs I mentioned above. I want manual control of aperture and shutter speed, which it has.

I'm not sure if I should be worried about the potential lack of lenses or not? I guess more second hand ones will come available as time progresses. How many amatuers need more than two lenses (wide zoom and telephoto zoom) anyway? Maybe if I get to the stage where I want dedicated macro/wide lenses etc., I would probably also want to upgrade to a mid level DSLR if I go either way...

Thanks for your input, opinions and expericenes,

Doug :good:

mx344

They will be some what close, the Dslr will provide better quality :)
The Dslr's sensor is 50% larger, so it will provide better image quality, low light, dynamic range. Not to mention all the other +'s for getting the dslr.
I'd go with the dslr, over a micro 4/3 cam.

dug987654

Thanks for your reply mx344,

They will be some what close, the Dslr will provide better quality :)

The Dslr's sensor is 50% larger, so it will provide better image quality, low light, dynamic range.

I understand the theoretical benefits of the larger sensor, but what I'm looking for some opinions on is: as an amateur am I going realise these benefits?

The reviews of the Pen pretty consistently say that image quality is comparable with entry level DSLRs up to ISO1600. Most of my photos are when I'm out hiking or on the bike, so on bright sunny days! I had a flick through some snaps I'd taken on hols and at a festival, and even the ones in the "dark", where nearly all (like 99%) below ISO1600.

As a comparison of prices:

Cannon 1100D with 18-55mm IS lens = £380

Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm VR lens = £369

Pen with 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses = £370

So with the Pen I am getting basically the same focal length out of the first kit lens (14-42mm) and the equivalent of 80-300mm in 35mm equivalent in the second kit lens (40-150mm). The camera body has image stabilisation built in.

Given my use of the camera, do you think the extra lens is a sensible(?) trade for the lower image quality at high ISO??

Thanks, Doug.

mx344

Given your needs, I'd say you don't really care all that much about the things I previously stated, looks like your trying to cover the focal range. Which in that case go with the pen, it'll fit your needs great!

dug987654

Given your needs, I'd say you don't really care all that much about the things I previously stated

Thanks for your comments MX, I'm not just disregarding your advice/knowledge, as you obviously have far more experience and knowledge than me!

I just want to maximise features/capabilities that I can use and make the most of, rather than sacrificing those for capabilities that I may not have the skill to use at the moment, as by the time I'm at that stage I may want to upgrade to a better DSLR anyway etc.

Thanks, Doug.