Open Request...

massahwahl

VIP Member
I would like to make a suggestion to the forum gods that you possibly consider breaking this section of the forum up into seperate sections. Right now, with it labeled as 'laptops, tablets and smartphones' it encompasses such a massive topic that it is difficult to really use it to narrow down on specific requests for assistance. I would suggest possibly seperating the 'laptop' section from the 'smartphone and tablet' section mainly due to the fact that smartphone and tablet hardware and software are worlds apart. I think it would also attract some new members while also helping to clarify which topics go where and help us better offer assistance.

It would also serve as a good place to talk about development on the different platforms (IOS, Android, etc...) because as it is, there is no clear cut area set aside for those types of threads.

Anyone else groovin on my jive turkey idea? :cool:

kobaj

VIP Member
*snip*

That sounds like a rather swell idea if I do say so myself. But Ian is rather hesitant of change. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Also, coolest expression ever. :D

Golfaholic

I agree. That is a good idea. I wanted to post something about my laptop and wasn't sure if this was the right place to do it.

massahwahl

VIP Member
That sounds like a rather swell idea if I do say so myself. But Ian is rather hesitant of change. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I actually made the suggestion too add mobile to ANY section about three years ago and it very quietly was added to the laptop section, so I thinik Ian is open to change!

Geoff

VIP Member
Years ago tablets and smartphones were such a small part of this forum it didn't make sense, but now I think it's a great idea.

ian

Administrator
Staff member

I am not that hesitant to change.
I actually made the suggestion too add mobile to ANY section about three years ago and it very quietly was added to the laptop section, so I thinik Ian is open to change!

I would like to make a suggestion to the forum gods that you possibly consider breaking this section of the forum up into seperate sections. Right now, with it labeled as 'laptops, tablets and smartphones' it encompasses such a massive topic that it is difficult to really use it to narrow down on specific requests for assistance. I would suggest possibly seperating the 'laptop' section from the 'smartphone and tablet' section mainly due to the fact that smartphone and tablet hardware and software are worlds apart. I think it would also attract some new members while also helping to clarify which topics go where and help us better offer assistance.

It would also serve as a good place to talk about development on the different platforms (IOS, Android, etc...) because as it is, there is no clear cut area set aside for those types of threads.

I think it is a good idea.
Do you think the top three forum categories should be
1. Desktop Computers
2. Laptops/Notebook/Netbooks
3. Tablets and Smartphones
Since a lot of the tablets like ipad, galaxy tab share very similar operating systems to their smartphone counterparts, I think they are more logically grouped together. Or do you have some other ideas on how it should be arranged.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Ian that layout would be ideal. Technically speaking, as you said, android smartphones and tablets run the same OS as do the Iphones and Ipad.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I am not that hesitant to change.

I think it is a good idea.
Do you think the top three forum categories should be
1. Desktop Computers
2. Laptops/Notebook/Netbooks
3. Tablets and Smartphones
Since a lot of the tablets like ipad, galaxy tab share very similar operating systems to their smartphone counterparts, I think they are more logically grouped together. Or do you have some other ideas on how it should be arranged.
Perhaps Notebooks, Ultrabooks, and Netbooks.