or no case?

cannotthink

Short term or long term, has anyone encountered any problems running a desktop without a case? Thanks. I made an effort, i'm sorry if this is redundant.

The_Beast

yeah your not really supposed to run a system without a case

What would you do for cooling???

what about static electricity???

what about dust???

ChickenWing

just put a fan right beside it,it'll blow the dust,keep air circulation and keep it cool,and just have a ground for the static electricity.

cannotthink

yeah your not really supposed to run a system without a case

What would you do for cooling???

what about static electricity???

what about dust???

1. The temperature in my room is cooler than inside the box. I've placed my hand over the enclosure vent to deduce that.

2. I'm wondering about this one. Static electricity is the concentration of free negative electrons. Static charges are present on our cloths but where else? If the MB was grounded well like someone said would this be an issue then? I havn't heard too much about this one that's why I'm asking.

3. I booted up an old pentium that had more dust in it than a dictionary in Harlem. I think I ended up driving over it because it didn't run any of the newer programs. So it's death occured at the hand of a human rather than millions and millions of dust particles.

Thanks for all the replies.

Bobo

banned
Static electricity is present in any insulator.

If you have the motherboard just sitting there, you're really asking for trouble. Not just with electricity, but with liquids, anything banging it, etc.

cannotthink

Static electricity is present in any insulator.

If you have the motherboard just sitting there, you're really asking for trouble. Not just with electricity, but with liquids, anything banging it, etc.

I agree fully, with the MB on the top of the desk there are way too many possiblities. I'll have to think of something else.

Jet

VIP Member
Lord_of_the_Mings has been running his computer in a Lego case for a few months, and before that, it was in a plastic container, and it worked/s fine.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lord_of_the_Mings has been running his computer in a Lego case for a few months, and before that, it was in a plastic container, and it worked/s fine.

Lol realy...Did he post any pics of it?

That would be fun :D

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I wouldn't suggest doing that, too many things can go wrong, drinks, food, statis electricity, not to mention all the dust gathering on the components. Also it'd be alot louder than with a case. If cooling is an issue, you can pick up a cheap case with lots of fan mounts.

Jet

VIP Member
I wouldn't suggest doing that, too many things can go wrong, drinks, food, statis electricity, not to mention all the dust gathering on the components. Also it'd be alot louder than with a case. If cooling is an issue, you can pick up a cheap case with lots of fan mounts.

It had a lid, so it was just as protected as a normal case is...