OS Install

jljhlhl

I have a "server" that I need to put an OS on, but there is no CD drive or floppy drive. There is USB and Network capabilities I can use however, but I just dont know how to do it.

Can anyone explain how I can load an OS onto this "server"? I'd prefer to put Windows on it, but I can also use Linux if need be.

By the way theres 4 hard drives on the system, and they're all completely empty.

Thanks!

jljhlhl

This morning I decided I'd see if the hard drives would connect to the 2 desktops I got in my house, and I'd load the OS that way and then transfer it back in, but the connectors are different.

If I connect a external DVD burner to the USB port and load the CD in that would it possibly work? Or will the DVD burner not be recognized yet?

jljhlhl

I tried the DVD burner, and it's working, and I'm trying to load Windows XP Professional, but when it gets to the part when I am supposed to start the Windows installation, it says there are no hard drives found.

Theres 4 36GB 15k hard drives in the system and they're connected, but why might it not be getting recognized? I do believe they are set-up in RAID, would that cause the problem?

ms2134

I have has that problem before. You can tweak it in the BIOS. If you have SATA Enhancment on then turn it off since it sometimes does not work with Legacy Operating Systems.
Otherwise check that they are all raided properly and that the Pins are in the right order on the back of them.

Its usually something simple,

Good Luck,

Last edited by a moderator:

jljhlhl

To be honest, I have no experience with RAID.

I've looked through the BIOS, and I've looked at some of the SCSI settings, and the hard drives are recognized in the bios, it's just not working on the OS install part. =/

Tech_Force

First you have to check what kind of a RAID controller your using. If the server is a Dell box then your probably running a PERC card. To get into a PERC bios you hit ctrl-A when prompted at boot up. That should tell you how you have the raid setup. From there you can recreate the RAID if need be.
Second of all, I'm not totally sure of this, but I don't think Windows XP Pro has drivers for the drives your using. You might have to use Windows Server which will utilize the hard ware better anyways. XP Pro isn't setup to be a server.

Check what type of hardware you have. It should say it in the RAID controller configuration bios. Not the computer bios.

Check what type of hard drives you have. SAS(Serial Attached SCSI) or SATA. That will tell you what drivers your going to need.

jljhlhl

I actually bought it just for some basic home usage...it was $100, so I couldnt pass it up, I just wanted to buy it and see what I can use it for. Figured I couldnt go wrong for $100.

Heres the specs:

* Model: A2
* Server Board: Intel Server Board SE7501WV2
* Chassis Profile: 2U standard depth
* Processors: 2 x Xeon 2.66GHz SL6VM (2666DP/512/533/1.50V)
* No. of Cores: 2
* Memory: PC2100 2 x 1GB (Corsair/Samsung)
* Hard Drive: Fujitsu 4 x 36GB SCSI 15000 RPM
* RAID Controller: None
* Power: 350 watts, DC 12V, 100-240V
* Dimensions (H x W x D): 3.47” x 17.6” x 28.5”

So I was wrong, there is no RAID controller...

What would you recommend I should do with this in terms of an OS if I'm just going to be using it for some basic tasks on a home network. I'll be running a game server off of it too possibly if its possible.

I know that I really dont know what I'm doing, I dont deny that, but I just wanted to buy it and see what it could do for me. :p

Thanks. :)

Ebooktops

Maybe this can help you. First try change sata with ide at bios. Then after os installed change again to sata.

jljhlhl

The SCSI Controller on the system is AIC 7902, so I went to download the driver, and when I went to install it while installing windows when it says so, it says I need to insert it in the A drive which I assume would be a floppy drive. :(

Can anyone here just explain in quick terms the best way for me to install an OS on this system? :p I dont care which OS it is.