OSX Snow Leopard

h364

Haven't seen a thread, Snow Leopard is released today, peoples thoughts?

Apple trying to release in front of Win 7, i get my update tomorrow, which i got for £7.95.

Fatback

VIP Member
I wish windows would make there new OS's a $10 upgrade how awesome would that be. I plane on getting my snow leopard in about a week I don't use my mac much probably once a week used to use it for games but now my windows is better. For $10 of course I'm going to upgrade why can't Microsoft be that cool.

I don't think Apple is trying to compete with Windows 7 well maybe a little. I think of PC and Mac's as two different worlds and I don't like to compare them.

PabloTeK

I'm thankful of the extra space that Snow Leopard has given me; it went from about 175 GB ish to about 189GB! There are a few nice GUI tweaks too.

h364

You may not have to pay for 'service packs' but unfortunately you do have to pay considerably more to fix Windows last f**k up.

h364

I never thought it was a whole new OS, but it's certainly a pretty hefty service pack!

With the addition of a few new features, they've entirely rebuilt the Leopard we know and love, to make it even better. Hence the tag line 'a better Leopard'

And how does Win 7 compare? Patching up all the Vista faults and plastering on a new look, not mentioning charging a small fortune for it.

Fatback

VIP Member
Rofl! You think it's a whole new OS? It's just an update, like a Service Pack, and they make you pay for it.

Not sure to what you are referring.

Well I don't consider windows 7 a new OS either it is basically vista with a new skin some new features and less bugs.

brian

VIP Member
eh, so far I havnt seen anything new or change. Except the start up is WAY faster. for me it went from 1 min and 36 sec to around 45 sec.

brian

VIP Member
Lol right now im agreeing, After spending a but of time, im starting to see its like a "vista" upgrade :p

kearneyTaaffe

Well that's not much of a debate. We all know PCs are better :p

Let he who is without virus checker heave the first PC at justin long :D

ANYWAYZ...

Snow Leopard is significantly faster for me. I'm a programmer and the memory usage is very small. Execution times are down by at least 0m0.020s for some of the applications.

From what I can tell MySQL is actually faster; as is virtualization with Parallels. The Xubuntu instance I had probably booted up in about 30 seconds compared to about a minute with Leopard. Of course, a new Parallels had to come out, so that may have been it.

Of course the biggest joy is a new PHP was released with Snow Leopard 5.3. no compilation, no updating paths. Everything just works. Now, if only I could build one....I hate you Steve Jobs.

As far as the OS being snappier...for finds, I do not notice a difference. And it might be me, but my iMac seems to run a bit warmer than I remember it.

Anyways, yes, its like an update, but this one removes a bunch of code that is no longer necessary (about 2GB) and takes full advantage of 64 bit processing by using very tight code.

So, the result is an OS that reduces CPU cycles while still being fast.

h364

I don't want to start this into an Apple vs. Windows thread, i just don't want people to be so narrow minded that they have to chose one or the other. Macs are great for some tasks, Windows are great for some tasks. There both very good operating systems, and you use what you prefer.

I'm still waiting for my update cd, the boot times sound attractive, i thought they were fairly nippy already!

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yay...:rolleyes:

I'm glad I don't have to pay for Service Packs...:cool:

you fail at trolling....seriously, you fail

anyway,

I was in the beta for the OS and they cut out a lot of fat, over 3gigs of legacy code gone, and while they left in the PPC translators I wouldn't expect themt o work all that good.

Added windows command line support from boot camp, so you can manage your boot camp from the command line.

they changed some back end stuff like kerberos but that won't affect average users.

It is more efficient at handling multiple and multi-core CPUs now, better memory management, more eye candy. Revamped so all native apps run full 64bit support, so on and so forth.

if you are running 10.5 well worth the $25 upgrade.

Christopher

VIP Member
Ah, really -- what's worse? I don't use iChat so I don't know.

The only negative I've encountered so far is that iStat Menus hasn't been updated yet. :( I miss having the calendar in the menu.

brian

VIP Member
they removed a function of it.. So lets say you chat with 6 friends. there will be 6 windows, when you exit and start it up you would expect it to just be the buddy list, but now all your old chats come back. They use to have an option for this, now they dont. And mac support fails to understand that they got rid of that feature.